This week, Yaya and her classmates celebrated their first Red Ribbon Week at school. They learned about drug and alcohol prevention along with making healthy choices for their bodies. Monday morning, they each received a red bracelet to wear all week long. Each child was asked to draw a picture and write their own drug free, no smoking or healthy choice slogan on a paper t-shirt and turn it in. Wednesday, they wore sunglasses to school saying they were too cool to do drugs.
Yesterday, was crazy sock and/or shoe day and today they wore their school colors.
I looked all over town for a pair of Keds or something similar to them for Yaya to draw and color on. No such luck! At the last minute, I decided we could decorate her scuffed up silver shoes. She and I tried pasting flowers on with modge podge but it wasn't sticky enough so I broke down and brought out the hot glue gun. Voila!
Homemade "Crazy" garden shoes to remind her to only put healthy natural things in her body. As soon as we glued the butterflies on her shoes I realized I had a huge bag of google eyes we could have used instead. How fun and crazy would they have been on her shoes!? Gotta remember that idea for next year!
I hope and pray saying "No" will be easy for them as they grow up, encounter peer pressure and are faced with other challenging situations.
5 comments:
Love love love the shoes! What a good idea bout the googly eyes. I'm going to have to remember that one!
Thanks for the info. I went and looked at the book today. I had a few very bad experiences with adoption and school when I worked there. I pray they are not the norm.
And still praying for your second miracle. God knows your hearts cry. He loves you and is just waiting to bless you bigger than you know.
Love those shoes and the pics of her in the beret. Too cute. She could model!
I'm sorry for the news you received, whatever it was. If you want to send me that email, I will be glad to read it. Everyone struggles through different things and that is ok. I think if we manage to adopt once, we might be done and happy with an only child after all this, but I say that now knowing it may all change.
Thank you for the prayers and encouragement.
What a great idea to teach them that and I do love the shoes (and my glue gun)
I hope you had a good Halloween!
It's amazing how early
they start delivering this
message and I must say,
it's great to arm them with
these mantras! Love, love
the shoes.....like something
a wood sprite would wear.
Happy November!
xx Suzanne
Post a Comment