A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Yaya's 5th Birthday ParTea

Yaya turned 5 at the beginning of July and all she wanted was a garden tea party without boys.  

We invited the girls from her preschool class and got to work planning the party. 
(This is the photo I took and made into the invitation.)

We hit the jackpot when a friend of mine loaned me the decorations from her daughter's June wedding.  We hung flower balls, lights and Japanese lanterns all over my parent's yard.

As each girl and her mother arrived we took their picture on Yaya's birthday throne.
(I'm making each of their photos into a personalized Thank You card.)

We played the telephone game where one girl whispered a secret in another's ear and passed it on to another to see if it ended up being the same at the end.  Once the girls got the hang of it they had a blast.  What little girl doesn't love telling secrets?!

 The girls enjoyed garden salad pizza, little smokies in BBQ sauce, peanut butter and jelly finger sandwiches and fruit kabobs for dinner.   Raspberry lemonade and sun tea were served in real tea cups with saucers.  I found 2 complete sets of floral tea cups and saucers at local thrift stores for under $18.00.  JACKPOT!  The best part?  I didn't worry if anything got broken because it wasn't a family heirloom. 

Pinkies Up!

Yaya begged me to make her a pretty cake with real flowers on it not frosting flowers.  Upon asking a few more questions as to why she wanted real flowers on her cake she admitted it was so she could lick the frosting off of them.  I swear she cracks me up!  Shhh... she didn't even notice that I cheated and used flowers I bought from Michaels off the clearance racks.  My "little smoochie" couldn't wait to blow out her candles. 


After dinner and cake the girls enjoyed "Freeze Dancing."  My dad downloaded the Freeze Dance song from Choo Choo Soul.  They had fun listening to the words and freezing when the singer said, "FREEZE."  Is there anything more lovely than a group of little girls dancing, spinning, squealing and giggling their hearts out?

The party ended with each girl setting a lantern into the pool.  Yaya explained she wanted to set lanterns free like they did on Rapunzel's birthday in the movie Tangled.   

"Girls Only" 

Each girl went home with a party favor box that held a tea cup, saucer, hand stitched handkerchief,  heartshaped ring and candy bracelet and a tiny flowerpot with lip gloss inside.  The best part of the night was when Yaya came up and hugged me saying, "Momma, that was the best birthday party EVER!  I love you!"  That was all the thanks I needed.

10 comments:

Renata said...

What a beautiful party - Ellie would love one like that (including the no boys allowed - which would be difficult with three brothers). I love the lantern idea - my kids love Tangled also & the twins both want a lizard that changes color for their pet!!!
The cake is gorgeous & her wish to lick the flowers made me laugh - what a sweetheart she is!
Happy Birthday Yaya!
Blessings
Renata:)

Karin @ 6byHisDesign said...

Girl. Seriously? There are not enough words in the English language to describe how cool you are. Yaya is one lucky girl.

I love you.
k

Anonymous said...

OMGosh!! I absolutely LOVED reading this and seeing these pictures. AND cant believe that she is 5 already (seriously??) Whoaa, that went by soooo fast.... What an AWESOME Birthday party. You are such a great mom and family creating the best memories ever. I love you guys.
Christall

The Lovely One said...

Ahhh! What a sweet girly party! Great job, Mom!

BBB said...

WOW!!!!!!!!! What a beautiful party!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Happy Birthday sweet princess. You are so loved by so many:)

Becky said...

So adorable!

Mama - "M" is for Mama Bear said...

Oh my goodness, Yaya is so lucky to have you as her awesome mommy! I would love to have a party like that now, including no boys allowed. Haha! As I was reading this whole post I just kept saying "Awww, so precious, precious, precious!"

travelinmama said...

What a beautiful party! Happy Birthday Yaya - a month late. Can't believe you are 5 already. Sure do miss ya.

Stacy B said...

Can't wait for next year!