The morning after Yaya's birthday party my mom, Yaya and I set off in her car for Montana. We decided to drive to the anniversary party while enjoying some sights along the way. After a little GPS mix-up we stopped for dinner and a stretch break. I'm finding more and more often what I think are accidental inconveniences are often God's plans and blessings in disguise. After seeing this spectacular sunset in a location we had no intention of stopping I'm convinced the "mix-up" was no accident.
The next day, we drove through Yellowstone National Park. It was nothing less than magical. A storm was rolling in just as we entered the park. We enjoyed listening to the cracking of thunder and watching the ominous clouds form as they promised to drop more than just rain. There was no way we were going to let a little bad weather slow us down or spoil our fun.
During one of our first stops we met a man who taught us a little about fly fishing. He was such a gentleman and so patient with Yaya as he told her all about what the fish eat flying just above the water's surface.
He even let her look at the one he made and was using on his line.
We stopped in several places to check out the geysers. It's almost impossible for me to comprehend how such beauty can come from something so hot and lifeless.
We arrived at Old Faithful not long after it had erupted which gave us a chance to walk around and see some of the other treasures in the area. They've had so much rain this year there were wildflowers everywhere and the land was a vibrant emerald green against the coppery red and grey colors of the clay and ash.
My parents took my brother and I to see Old Faithful as kids but so much has changed in the park since then. New walkways, new buildings even the natural landscape seemed new. What a place!
The park was full of wildlife. We saw three or four elk.
We drove through a hail storm while up in the mountains. Five minutes later, we drove through a light drizzle and witnessed a double rainbow while driving around the lake and across the prairie.
Absolutely MAGNIFICENT!
As I was hopping back into my car, I heard a man talking about a buffalo standing just behind the hill below the tree line seen on the left side of the above photo. Sure enough, this enormous creature was grazing in the field all alone. I wish I could have captured the rainbows over his head but it wasn't meant to be. Can you see the raindrops falling around him?
We continued driving through the park and found where some of the major fires have occured in recent years. It was sad to see so many acres upon acres of burned, dead trees. That said, new growth and wildflowers were coming up giving hope for a new forest some day.
As we drove to exit the park we were fortunate to see several herds of buffalo grazing near some geysers, along the water's edge and roads. I suddenly became all sappy and cried as I explained to Yaya how fortunate we were to see something so beautiful and I told her people come from around the world to see and experience the beauty of this park.
Mom and I decided it was the full moon and cool weather that brought the wildlife out for all to see. What an amazing place! Such stark contrasts of indescribable beauty. It is also easy to see the contrasts of life and death layered upon one another here both in the wildlife and vegetation. My wish is that everyone has the opportunity to experience the beauty in this national park and so many others we are blessed to have in the United States
A note of caution. If you are blessed to visit one of our national parks please take your time and do not rush. The speed limits and warnings signs are posted for your safety and for that of the animals as well. My mom and I were only 2 cars behind a man who was nearly killed when rounding a corner and he hit a buffalo with his car. The car was totalled while the buffalo stood only a few feet away on the side of the road. We do not know what happened to the man but he was going to have to be pried from his car. I imagine the buffalo had some serious internal bleeding as a result from the crash as well. It was a very sobering sight to see after such an unforgettable day in the park.
This was a day none of us will soon forget.
7 comments:
What an amazing
experience. I've
yet to visit this
beautiful place....
Only saw the Grand
Canyon last year!
I will eventually
make it here and
to Yosemite, I hope!
Gorgeous pics!
xx Suzanne
The last time I was there was more than 30 years ago. Where does the time go? Think I should plan a trip soon. Amazing pictures, as usual:)
Oh my - that makes me sad for the buffalo! :(
These pictures are amazing. Nature at its finest! The reflection of the rainbow is A-MAZ-ING!!!!
Your pictures are amazing as always. We loved Yellowstone and would like to go back since it is constantly changing. Your trip sounded wonderful! Miss ya.
wow!~~! what a trip!~ LOve love LOVE
WOW! I hope to do a trip like this someday.
I like how you wrote this part. {I told you you would find a way!}
Love you!
Post a Comment