A few months ago Bird received a "Bonus" from his company. The bonus wasn't a typical one. The bonus money had to be spent on a vacation with his family. Um... TWIST OUR ARMS why don't ya? We immediately began planning where we wanted to go and what we wanted to do. One of the first things he did was purchase season passes to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. (The bonus gift that keeps on giving.)
The second thing he wanted to do with the bonus was take our family to Yosemite. After work on Thursday that's exactly what he did. We spent all day Friday exploring the park. Unfortunately the weather prevented us from returning again on Saturday like we had hoped. Regardless of how much time we spent in the park NOTHING could have prepared us for its splendor! John Muir is my hero for working his entire life to preserve this natural wonder.
Yaya had an amazing close encounter with this little fella. I promise she didn't feed him a thing!
Our first glimpse of Half Dome did not disappoint!
Nor did our first glimpse of Bridal Veil Falls. Her mist at the bottom could be seen for miles.
The crew.
The wildflowers were out in full force. Unfortunately, I was unable to capture all of them because some grew where it was impossible to stop.
We walked to the base of Bridal Veil Falls and were showered by her powerful mist. I'm talking drenched! I couldn't take pictures in the mist because it was so wet and it would have damaged my camera.
I took this photo after lunch while Bird was trying to dry out his socks and tennis shoes. Can you see them in his hand? He cracked us up! He had them hung out the side of the window hoping the air would dry them faster. NO SUCH LUCK!
I don't recall the name of this waterfall but it was so pretty. I think I liked seeing it's reflection in the water below as much as the real thing. We met a couple who had hiked to the top of it and back down. It took them 5 hours from its base.
Below is my attempt at an Ansel Adams'ish shot.
The highlight for me was not the waterfalls or the beauty of the park itself. The highlight was watching my family spending time together exploring nature. Yaya comes alive in it and Bird had an amazing spiritual moment while standing in the mist of Bridal Veil. Those moments are priceless.
It was so much fun climbing on rocks and stumps with Yaya, Bird, my mom and my dad. I loved witnessing the exhilaration on Yaya's face and hearing her squeals of joy as she was showered by the mist of an enormous waterfall. Hearing her talk herself into doing new things provided me a lot of insight into how her mind works. What an amazing blessing! For example, she was a bit nervous trying to climb a steep rock to get up to where Bird sat. Instead of giving up she said, "I think I can. I think I can. Just go slow and steady." I can't tell you how many times Bird and I have whispered these words in her ear over the years. I'm thrilled to know they have stuck with her and provide her the encouragement she needs.
I can't wait to write a letter to Bird's boss and company thanking them for such a wonderful BONUS!
8 comments:
Wow..what a great bonus! How nice of you too to take the time to thank his boss. Not everyone would think to do that.
As always, beautiful pictures :o)
What a gift!
That is one super
smart employer.
A getaway like this
"pays back" in spades.
Your pics are incredible.
Thanks for sharing them!
xx Suzanne
What a wonderful idea for a bonus! Kudos to his company. Hope you are doing well - have been a bit out of circulation.
Breathtaking! Amazing pictures and what a wonderful BONUS from the boss! What a great directive with the bonus! Kudos to the business for being so family oriented! Thanks for sharing!
Oh.my.goodness! I love Yosemite! What a bonus!
These pictures are absolutely gorgeous! Oh, if I could take decent pictures!! I guess I could start my getting a decent camera! Sigh!
Oh thank you, thank you for posting these! It reminds me of home....well, my 'first' home!
You are an amazing woman. I love how you write and take pictures and soak it all up. And demonstrate gratitude with letter writing. Too many will pass on that last one. But I know you. You won't forget to tell them thank you. What a wonderful bonus!
And did you know squirrels are the most dangerous animals in the Grand Canyon? You're very brave.
Nancy said it best - and exactly what I was thinking as I looked at your photos: OH ! MY ! Frizzy... !
Y'all's time together sounds magical. God be praised :) !
Beautiful and breathtaking!! You do have the gift of capture:) I love the Ansel Adams shot!!
Did you know Gina and Sebastian climbed Half Dome. Years ago. BK. (Before Kids)
This might just be a destination for Stan and I this summer.
Post a Comment