My parents signed Yaya up for swim lessons at their local pool this summer. Yaya likes to play at the water's edge but when it comes to swimming in it or going beyond the top step she's Terrified! This is so hard for me to watch because I love the water and feel so at home in it. My dad, Bird and I have tried to get her comfortable in the water the last three summers but we haven't made much progress. When she's in the water with us she has a death grip on our necks or her fingernails dug into our skin. It's not easy to stay afloat in those circumstances so this summer we decided to try something new. Yaya wasn't too excited about going but I'm proud of her for putting on a brave face.
I'm learning when she's nervous she becomes a "Chatty Kathy." She did everything she could to try and distract her teacher from the lesson with her jokes and her charm. It was funny because when her teacher asked Yaya and her classmate who wanted to go first they both pointed at the other. No such luck! In the end, Yaya went first and got it over with.
Here she's trying to trust that her teacher won't let her go under but letting go of control is so hard! Hmmm sounds familiar doesn't it? I know I struggle with letting go and letting God take control daily. Sometimes moment by moment.
If only we could just let go and trust Him like Yaya finally did Gabi we might find peace.
I'm not saying she's over her fears. In fact, each day when we return to the pool she has to learn to trust and let go all over again. Hopefully, little by little, day by day she will feel more comfortable in the water. Just as little by little, day by day I'm learning to let go of my life plan and instead trust in God's.
6 comments:
You have such an amazing way of putting pictures, stories and lessons together in one post. Control has always been my greatest issue to. That and change. It is always so much easier when I hand the reigns over to whom can navigate the waters much better than I.
Love the pictures of the "lil darlin" too:) She is just too cute for words.
Love that zoon lens baby!
She looks like she really is overcoming. Good for her! {Although I wondered if that first photo of Gabi was a flinch from fingers digging into neck...anyway, just saying ;)}
Love ya bunches!
Ditto gramma2many!
You have such an amazing way of putting pictures, stories and lessons together in one post. Way to go, Yaya! Way to go, Frizzy!
That water is absolutely completely inviting.
Looks almost exactly like the swim lessons Bug is taking right now!
WHOO!!!! Love that analogy. We're Gripping in panic sometimes around God's neck too, arent we! kicking for dear life... good stuff here!
Side note - its the best thing you can do, getting a child used to water & learned in swimming. My nieces are now taking classes. Love it!
Rest assured that she is not the only kid that is scared of the pool Mine are all 3 - the princess only got it "right" at 5.
Post a Comment