A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

It's finally stopped raining around here and just in time.  I was beginning to think the garden my mom and I planted might begin to rot in the ground.  I think I mentioned before this is my first attempt at a real garden.  I've grown tomatoes before but this year we're tackling much more.

We noticed last night the plums at the top of our tree are beginning to turn purple.  Hopefully we'll be able to get to them before they fall to the ground or the squirrels, skunks or rats get them.  Yes, you read that right.  Our neighborhood is full of "fun" creatures.

Our magnolia tree out back is full of activity thanks to the bees.  It's interesting, Yaya and I noticed the bees pull the stamen off the flowers and toss them to the ground.  Kinda cool to be able to observe them so closely. 

I planted Italian parsley, Cilantro and Basil.  The basil popped up first but it's turned out to be the slowest growing of all three.  I was hoping to make my own pesto from it.  I guess only time will tell. Maybe I'll be making salsa with my cilantro instead.

Yesterday, we had 3 beautiful blossoms on our squash.  Tonight, I noticed the blossoms had been nipped off at the base of the flowers.  The culprit appears to be nasty little earwigs.  I won't put up with that nonsense for long! 

I can't believe how many potatoes we have popping up.  We cut up some that had begun growing eyes from our kitchen.  I can't believe how fast they came up!  We also have one onion growing.  It actually started growing on my counter and we moved it to the back patio. Neither Bird or I recall planting it in the ground but somehow there it is and blooming none the less! 

We planted 4 tomato plants.  I am thrilled that we have 6 tomatoes growing on our "early girl" already. 

Here is one of 12 bean plants.  Mom and I put steaks and string in the ground last week and they've already climbed about 4 feet.   BRING ON THE BEANS!

I started this avocado from the seed several months ago.  It's been a slow process but we were finally able to plant it.  Now, I hope it will continue to grow and one day become a beautiful tree though it doesn't look so pretty right now.   

We have also planted zucchini, a giant pumpkin and cucumbers but the sun was too bright tonight to capture them on film.  I'll take shots of them once they start to bloom.  I hope it won't be long.
Last but not least, I decided to prune back my Geraniums about 2 weeks ago (shortly after the flower massacre).   As I was pruning off the dead flowers, I noticed several tiny bugs jumping off the plant and scurrying around my feet.  I FREAKED!  Once my heart stopped racing I took a closer look at the scurrying insects and found I have several Praying Mantis nests that have hatched.  These little critters have made their home in my geraniums.  Did you know praying mantis are supposed to be wonderful bugs and good luck for your garden?  I am so excited and I hope they enjoy eating all the nasty little bugs they can handle.  Heck they're welcome to invite their friends and relatives if it means I can enjoy organic gardening.   

3 comments:

KathY said...

In answer to your question How Does Your Garden Grow? - very well - in my dreams :) . I do some day hope to have such a wonderful garden as yours Frizzy...

By the way, Early Girl tomatoes have exquisite flavor if I'm remembering right...

Karin @ 6byHisDesign said...

Oh! You BEAT ME to the baby preying mantis photo!!! I seriously was going to post it this week after I got through Sasha's birthday posts! I love those little guys! They have SUCH a personality!!!!!

Love ya!
(Beautiful garden!)

Momto5 RachelJoy Photography said...

yes very nice detailed photos..... ive been wishing i could garden one day.... one day