A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Timing Is EVERYTHING

One of the requirements of adopting in California is that adoptive parents have to take/attend 12 hours of parenting classes.  Saturday morning Bird and I were signed up to attend a class on caring for a newborn.  As a result, we were running around like crazy to get last minute errands done before dropping off Yaya at my parents and heading to class.  At the last minute, I decided to run into Starbucks to get a cup of coffee while Bird filled up our car with gas.  The events to follow were nothing short of divine intervention.

I hopped in line behind a very tall, beautiful woman I would soon come to know as Erica.  As usual, when you're in a hurry something happens that automatically takes an added 5-10 minutes.  Saturday, it just so happened the barista was in an unusually chatty mood.  After a few minutes, the woman in front of me turned around and made eye contact with me.  As she did she gave me a look that said "SERIOUSLY? Come on already!" I politely smiled back my agreement while the barista continued chatting along at her own pace. 

A couple minutes later I placed my order, and once again took my place in line behind the tall woman.  Only now, we were at the other end of the counter waiting for our orders to be made.  After a few more silent glances the woman in front of me began making small talk and asking me questions about the weather.  I returned the banter and asked if she was in town visiting family or friends.  Nothing could have prepared me for what would come out of her mouth next and it certainly answered why she was in such a hurry.  She calmly said, "No, we are on the way to the hospital to pick up our new baby."  My eyes once again locked with hers and I immediately clarified, "You're adopting a baby? TODAY!?"  She smiled and said, "Yes."  My eyes welled up with tears of joy for this beautiful stranger and I couldn't stop myself from jumping on her to give her a giant hug.  I told her we were in the process of adopting too and how happy I was for her.  Of course, that's when our names were both called from behind the counter and we were suddenly rushing to exchange basic questions and information. 

Me, "Have you met the baby yet?" 
Erica, "Yes."  Me, "What agency are you using?"
 Erica, "Bethany. Who's your social worker?"  Me, "Mona." 
Erica, "Ours too! Our profile is on line."  Me, "Ours too!"

As she walked out the door we wished each other well.   I don't know how she felt but I was walking on cloud 9.  I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.  I no longer cared how long I'd had to wait for my coffee. That extra 10-15 minutes made sense now and were so worth it!  I bounced all the way to our car and excitedly shared her story with Bird and Yaya.  Like me, smiles shot across their faces.  I think Yaya may have even squeeled with joy.

Upon arriving at our adoption class I shared the events of the morning with the other adoptive parents.  Like us, they were overjoyed to hear this wonderful news.  I haven't been able to stop thinking about Erica and her family all weekend and of course wanted to share my news here too.  God is SO GOOD!

While sharing in Erica's joy I haven't forgotten that someone else had to make a very difficult and heartbreaking decision.  I ask you to help me keep this birth mom in your prayers for peace.  I also ask that you send tons of warm and loving thoughts her way.

Click below to continue reading.
Alone with My Thoughts

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome story! :)

Susanne said...

Ok, so I just was on my way home from Target and was thinking about you. You rock. Your story was so cool, and I loved reading it. I will indeed keep that birth mom in my prayers.

Just Lisa said...

*Squeal!*

Prudence Arcadia said...

I am keeping this birth mother in my prayers. What a wonderful story! You are so right about timing, it grabs you when you least expect it!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Chills from my head to my toes. Amazing story. You are so right about the other mother, she must be held up in prayer also.

cat said...

What a lovely little story!

Susie said...

How beautiful of you to keep the birth moms in mind!

The Blonde Duck said...

How wonderful!

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

It's amazing how things happen just when and how they are supposed to, what a lovely meeting!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Ostriches are not my friend.

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you have a good weekend!

Wisconsin Girl said...

AMAZING! Thank you for sharing this story.