A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Friday, August 21, 2009

What An Emotional Couple of Days

Yesterday, I went and had my MRI tests. It started out pretty normal. I guess it was normal since I've never had one before. They had me wear the sexy hospital gown but kindly gave me a top and bottoms. (I always feel bad for the people who walk down the hall with their rear on display.) They explained what would happen, asked me to lay down, pushed ear plugs into my ears, strapped my head into that little plastic helmet and secured my face with little pillows on either side over my ears. They explained it was to help minimize my movements and reduce the loud pounding noises I would soon be hearing. Into the tube I went. I closed my eyes and prayed. They assured me things were going well and I doing good holding still. Suddenly the pinging and pounding reminded me of a Star Trek movie and I had a horrible urge to giggle. I couldn't get it out of my head and that bwahaha just wanted to come bursting out. I didn't but oh man was that hard to hold back! Next, they decided they needed to pull me out of the tube to inject the liquid metal into my arm to help them get a better look at my brain. I'm used to needles from all my IVF testing and only asked if the liquid hurt while going in my arm like the dye during a hysterosalpingogram. They assured me it wouldn't hurt at all other than the prick from the needle. Again, I settled into prayer and just breathing. A few minutes in I started feeling my chest start to hurt. The pain got worse and worse until it felt like someone was standing in the center of it. My head started to feel weird then I started to see tons of spots and I couldn't catch my breath. The nurse or radiologist started SCREAMING "DOCTOR! WE NEED A DOCTOR IN HERE NOW! SHE'S HAVING A REACTION!" 3 people came running into the room and I was begging to be allowed to sit up. All of a sudden I felt nauseous and started getting sick (in my mouth.) Thank goodness Starbucks tastes the same the second time around. Finally, someone noticed my hand gestures for a trash can and handed it to me. The flood gates opened and everything came out. I was terrified by the sudden reaction my body had to the injection. In addition, I seriously thought by their reactions that I might die. While working as a social worker in a nursing home I watched a woman have a heart attack and die while spewing projectile vomit across the room. That was the only thing I could think about was that image of her and was that happening to me? Thankfully, that wasn't the case. I asked what was next and the Dr told me they would have to do the rest of the testing with what was already in my system because they couldn't risk how my body would react if given any further injections. Before I was strapped back into the contraption I asked the radiologists, "So, Do I have a brain in there at least?" She looked at me puzzeled but then realized I was trying to laugh at myself and said, "Oh yes! You've got a brain my dear. No need to worry there." I was trying really hard to stay positive y'all! After the procedure was finished the Dr told me I was part of the 1% of people who are allergic to this liquid for MRI testing. OF COURSE I AM! That's Murphy's Law for me. They wouldn't let me go until they checked my BP and made sure I was OK. They also told me they would have the results to my Dr in 2 days. If they founds something was wrong they would contact him sooner. I got to my car and called Bird to tell him I was done and I would be coming to get Yaya so he could return to work. Next I called my mom to tell her we were on our way and what had happened and the reality of what just happened really set in and I started crying and sobbing like a baby. What is it about talking to your mommy that makes you feel safe and like a child all over again? If that weren't enough, last night was Yaya's open house for her preschool. Bird and I couldn't believe we were already attending our baby girl's first Open House. How had that happened so fast? The water works came again as I drove home. I'm so thankful for my daughter, my husband and our family, church and friends! Today, I received a call from the neurology clinic. Turns out the MRI tests came back as normal. God is good! OH MAN IS HE GOOD! I guess, now it's more testing or I'll just have to live with the partial paralysis. I've joked that it'll be my cool party trick. Some people can touch their tongues to their noses. I on the other hand can only move the right side of my face and neck. Again, I'm trying to find humor in this whole scenario. Please stick with me. We also learned some tests my father in law had today came out good which was a huge relief. We're feeling pretty blessed in our little corner of the world tonight. I pray that you and your families feel the same in yours. For those of you looking for a job, waiting for your loved one to heal or even waiting on test results of your own. Please know that I'm praying for you just as you've prayed for me. Thank you so much!

18 comments:

Mummy McTavish said...

You had me practically in tears freaking out for you and at the same time I was laughing so hard I was crying over your starbucks comment!

So glad your results came back clear. Praying that the cause is quickly found!

Praying for Yaya starting preschool too! What a big girl!

Rebecca Jo said...

Look at you being so civil & making jokes after you threw your poor guts up!!! I'd be freaking OUT!!! That had to be so scary!!! And of course, 1% ... had to fall in that category... great! Why not the 1% of people who win the lottery or something like that!!!

Glad the results came back good though - especially after all that! And now, you know you're allergic if you have to have an MRI again!

Susie said...

I am so relieved for you! There is nothing worst than waiting on the results. Thank goodness your ordeal turned out ok!!

Nancy said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that! It must have been frightening. I tell ya, I hate MRI's in general.
I'm also glad that the results were normal! I think you need to take the weekend to rest. Just find your favorite spot in the chair or your couch and let the rest go! Sit there with YaYa and watch movies or read her some books. TAKE IT EASY!
I'm praying for you!

katylinvw said...

oh. my. word. i'm so glad your results came back positive - praying that they figure it out soon, though - i'm so impressed by your attitude :) praise the Lord!

the great adventure

tammy said...

So happy to hear that you have a brain!! J/K....I'm so happy to hear that the test came back normal...and that you survived that horrible ordeal. How scary that must have been for you. ((Hugs)) being sent your way.

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL NEWS!
Not the part that you were sick though...
So happy everything is ok.

Unknown said...

So glad you are OK!

The Blonde Duck said...

God that's scary! Poor thing!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness.. how scary. I am sorry you are having to go through all of this.... I am praying for you! Hugs!

cat said...

Oh Frizzy, what an experience. Absolutely terrible. I remember way back when I had to swallow that camera thing to check in your stomach - I still get tears in my eyes just from the memory.

I am so glad your results came back clear but also sad that you can not find something to help with the paralysis.

God's love and light to you girl.

Gramma 2 Many said...

It is a blessing to know it is not anything neurological. I am so sorry you were so sick and so scared. I teared up when you said you broke down when you were talking to your mom. No matter how old we get, we always need our mom.
Now to perhaps a simpler diagnosis.
Something pinched in your neck or spine. It has been known to cause some paryalisis. Wouldn't it be nice if it were something as simple as a couple of adjustments to make it all go away?
Leave it to me to think that way:)

Nichole said...

Good thing you stopped at Starbucks that morning huh? ;o) Sorry that you had to go through such a scary ordeal though. I am so glad to hear everything came back as normal.

Just Lisa said...

How scary! That would have scared me, too! But at least the MRI came back normal!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

i luv u!
karin

Gina said...

#1 You may have ruined me on Starbucks forever. My wallet thanks you.

#2 Sorry it was tramatic.

#3 Glad it wasn't nuerological

#4 My "Baby" is signed up for preschool this year. Oh me.

Shannon said...

Whew! What a scary moment... so glad you're ok!

Rowena said...

What an experience! (I get claustrophobic so I don't know how I could ever handle something like that). Brava to you for handling it all like a trooper, and I look forward to the results!

Regarding Yaya...doesn't time just fly???