A little over a year ago YaYa was Christened in the mountains of Nevada. We couldn't have felt any closer to God than we did that day.


We were blessed to have both sets of grandparents with us as well as some very good friends of ours from Wyoming.
Our friend Fred performed her Christening. We felt he was perfect for this occasion 1st because he is an ordained minister. Second, his ministry has focused on working with men and women in prison. Third, because he and his wife had been with us from the beginning of our journey to parenthood. Last and most important, we didn't want just anyone performing her Christening. We wanted someone who knew us and her story. All of it.
Fred's sermon was in reference to us all being God’s adopted children through salvation and how being adopted makes us all extra special. Fred read scripture about Esther's life and included the lesson below. Esther herself was adopted and her story illustrates the gift of adoption for us all. It was said back then that a child born into a family could be given away or disowned but a child who was adopted was a family member forever. In God’s eyes, we are all his adopted children. Remembering these 3 truths of adoption will help us grasp the unique significance of it.
First: The adoption process best models the way people enter God's family. Families with adopted children are living illustrations of salvation. Like adoptive parents, who reach into humanity and choose a child—and not on the child's merit—God has mercifully reached out and said, "You're unique, and you're Mine."
Second: Adopted children often become God's special instruments. As He did with Esther, God sometimes chooses adopted children to fulfill His special purposes. Their destinies have been changed! Many have been preserved, rescued from dire circumstances in order that they may fulfill God's purposes in the light of His love.
Third: People who are touched by the adopted realize how profound God's plan is. If you've brushed lives with adopted children or adults, you have been given a glimpse into the graciousness of God's redemptive design.
Like an adopted child who was not aborted but given a new lease on life, our destinies were altered when we became part of God's family. The individual pearls of our lives have been threaded together to form a beautiful necklace of purpose and meaning. We have been saved from death and have been chosen instead to live abundantly in Jesus Christ.
The text in bold was taken from a piece of literature. I would love to reference it but unfortunately didn't get the name of the study from Fred. Thank you for allowing me to share this with you while also taking a walk down memory lane.


17 comments:
that is so true! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for sharing! That is so sweet and I love the picture!!
Thanks for sharing! Loved reading your post!Much Love
I loved that.
Its weird, I've always felt that I was supposed to adopt a child, ever since I was a little kid. They've always spoken to me, straight through the heart.
That pix kills me dead. So adorable.
I am in awe of people who can open their lives to a child in need. I love the way you look at your journey to parenthood. I makes everything so much more meaningful.
What a beautiful post! I love the way you have opened the window of your heart to show us your love. Thank you for the transparency!
Blessings to you today!
Hi, you can certainly add me to your blogroll :) I also forgot to tell you that I like your fall look, so fun!
I love this post today! She means so much to so many people! She is a very special girl with a very special family! She is one lucky girl and you are all very blessed to be chosen by him to be a part of your family!
Love ya and miss ya!
The thought of labor TERRIFIES me on a holy level. But for some weird reason I've been thinking about reproducing one child and adopting one. We aren't sure yet, but we have a lot of love to give and either or will def happen.
Thanks for sharing these truths with us. I love that I am adopted by God as his girl!
Thanks for stopping by my blog on the BATW tour to New Zealand.I hope that you and your husband get to visit for real someday soon.
I loved this post - it's depth of meaning is so moving.
Beautiful post, Nichole!
And beautiful photo... love that her little feet are sticking out!
you are amazing. thank you so much for the encouragement. I didn't realize that my words yesterday could touch someone else---it wasn't my intention; i simply was expressing myself. But how much greater is our God than are we?!?! Thanks for reaching out to me....it means so much. you've a beautiful soul and Jesus shines through you. I praise my God a thousand times for your precious heart!
Ok, I deleted my first post because the way I wrote it has been bugging me ever since I posted it so I came back to change it so it wouldn't bug me anymore :o) Hope you're having a great weekend!
**Edited Original Post** Even though we aren't ready to start a family yet, David and I have talked about it quite a bit. We know that if we aren't able to conceive on our own (drugs = many,many mulitples in my husband's mind) that we would like to adopt, if finances allow.
So glad you have a happy, loving family :o)
thank you for directing me to this blog post. I so agree with everything you wrote, especially that adopting a child is a picture of what God has done for us. I look forward to the day He brings an adopted child into our family.
Blessings,
Patti
one of the things i've always said about my kiddos adoptions, god has s gracefilled way of taking ashes and turning them into something so beautiful. people come to adoption in many diff ways, but god is there in each one...i am so blessed to have all my kids, no matter how they came to be with us!
Post a Comment