A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Friday, August 29, 2008

It's a combo day

Candid Carrie is once again hosting Friday Foto Finish Fiesta and Katy Lin is hosting My Husband Rocks Friday. So I decided to combine their themes with my favorite pictures and stories of my husband, AKA Bird.
He deserves to know he's my favorite guy and that I think he rocks!
Where do I start?
At the beginning, of course!
A question we are often asked is, "Where and how did you two meet?" Imagine the looks we get when we answer, often simultaneously, "No Place." Honest! We met in the middle of a country bar called, "No Place." If you've ever been to Grain Valley, MO you probably have heard about, No Place. Though I'm told it (No Place) doesn't exist anymore. Are you following me here?
Here's how we met. I actually met Bird through his sister. She was visiting him after he returned from his tour of duty in Iraq. They were at No Place when she pointed at me and told him he should ask me to dance. (Keep in mind, his sister and I had never met or talked.) Being the gentleman he is, he didn't want to ask me to dance when he was there with her.
Fast forward to a month later. He was at No Place again and so was I. He remembered me and his sister's instructions and he actually came up and asked me to dance. I don't know how long it took him to get up the nerve to ask me to dance but he did it as he was leaving. Thankfully he decided to stay and ask me to dance because we danced the rest of the night away.
That was almost 11 years ago and we're still dancing. Even our daughter has caught the dancing bug. Would you like to know the weird part of this story? I didn't actually meet his sister until the day before he and I got married. She picked me out of a crowded room for Bird w/o ever having met me. Pretty cool aye?!
Now that you're all caught up on how we met, here's the first reason I think my husband rocks.
1. He danced his way right into my heart.
I hope it doesn't sound too cheesy because it's totally true. I also hope you enjoyed this combo post and will come back again next Friday to learn more of why Bird Rocks. Be sure to check out all the fun stuff Candid Carrie and Katy Lin have for you at their blogs. I can't wait to see what you have to say and share.

32 comments:

~Trish~ said...

I LOVED No Place!! That was the funnest bar to go to! It seemed like it was always sooooo far away but it was worth it. It's now called Whiskey Tango...nice huh? haha!!

Terri said...

not cheesey at all! I love those stories. I actually posted "how we met" in april.

katylinvw said...

how sweet! i loved your combo post! welcome to the MHR fam :) it's great to have you!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Doesn't sound cheesy to me!
My 7 yo daughter asked me once where I met my husband (he's not her dad)and I told her God sent him down from Heaven to me. And she said, well I know THAT! But where did you first SEE him??
LOL!
Found you on Candid Carrie!

Jennifer said...

"No Place"!! That's priceless!

~Trish~ said...

Ohhhh I do remember that huge country bar at Independence Center but for the life of me can't remember the name of it, that was a long time ago!!! Hmmm not sure about one downtown, I am sure there are lots there! How funny, I bet we did 'dance' together at one point!!

T said...

What a great story! I bet the sister loves the fact that she set it all in motion!!

debi9kids said...

FANTASTIC story and picture! Thank you so much for sharing!

Debra Kaye said...

What a beautiful story ... I loved that he danced his way right into your heart!

A New Yorker said...

I'm in love with your story. WOWZA! You're so lucky.

Anonymous said...

Wow..I need to post a how we met story..LOL!
thanks for stoppin gby my blog.. :)

Lori said...

Awww! Do you dance on every anniversary?

Tamie said...

i always love to hear about how people meet...never a dull story to be found. thanks for stopping by my place yesterday, it was great to see you. and i'm glad that my tour was to your liking...there is tons and tons to do in colorado, it was difficult to keep it short (i knew there was a problem when i was just going to do five and then noticed i had eight...oh well!)

Shannon said...

"No Place"... too funny!

What a great story! Awww, loved that he "danced his way" into your heart!

KayKay said...

That's a great story. I love to hear stories about how other people met - almost as much as I love to tell my own. (:

Melisa S. said...

I love reading about how couples met! *sigh* And no wonder you kept him, so handsome! :)

BTW, thanks for letting me know your feet did go back to normal! It gives me great hope.

Susie said...

First of all, thank you for your husband's service. He is why we are all here and free.

Second, great story!! I am a sucker for "how we fell in love" stories. You are really lucky to have one another and I wish you the best:-)

Renata said...

Love the post - what a great story - much more exciting than our 'how we met' story! I love the way his sister picked you out of a crowd - it was meant to be!!

Susie said...

Ok...I had to come back and say thanks for your comments on my blog. When I dropped her off, I called my husband and said, "Oh my God, I just dropped my daughter off at college...Oh my God, I am not old enough to say that":-)

Sorry my blog makes you so hungry...did I mention that I am the devil:-) Hee, hee, hee.

Nik said...

LOL wait - so you found cheese at No Place? I don't get it.

I'm just kidding - thanks so much for sharing.

Bug said...

My you have become popular my dear friend! I so love your story and how I miss our many nights at "No Place"! That was always so much fun as well as the bars downtown! I sure do miss those days sometimes! I also remember how much of a NON drinker he was back then as well! Of course he is still that way but at least he has added some drinks to his menu! :-)

Bug said...

Hey...I need your help too! How do you link in your post? You know when you have a word that is underlined that will take you to another site or post on your own blog?

Also...blog layout wise? Hmmm not sure where to go for what you are looking for. If you find it somewhere...let me know! My layout is from cutest blog on the block. Click the link in the top left corner of my blog to get to it. They are free!

Kelly said...

That's such a sweet story! Kuddos to your SIL for picking you out for her brother and to him for following her advice!

Rhonda said...

"No Place"! That is too funny!

Sunshine said...

WHAT a great story! (((siiiigh)))

T said...

I understand what you mean about them being taller and trying to walk or run with their stinkin long legs! My husband is 6'1 and I'm barely 5'2, makes a huge difference! We would have quite a group to walk with if all of us bloggers lived closer together!!

Nichole said...

What a sweet story!

Jenn H said...

That was quite amazing how you met! His sis has good taste :)

Prudence Arcadia said...

Ahhh, I also remember this story! But I had no idea the place was called "No Place" that is hilarious!
There is no cheese here, it is a sweet story! Yay for dancing!

Rela Pantaleon said...

Hi! just catching up in BATW.

Anyway, I just recently joined MHR too and I have not finished the list of participants to comment on.

But I'm so glad I found your post earlier - it is such a sweet case of serendipity; but of course, there are no coincidences in the Lord.

MammaDucky said...

Too sweet. What is it about military couples meeting at little hole in the wall bars (that's how my hubby and I met)? Lmao. Very cute. I'll be poking my nose around your blog a bit. Enjoy your SITS day in the spotlight!

Unknown said...

What a fun story! So glad you had an awesome day yesterday!