A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Change

The days pass and our yard, like YaYa, is in a constant state of change and bloom. I watch and wait impatiently for the Jasmine to bloom and bring forth it's enveloping aroma. Above it the Magnolia grows, its flowers open and quickly fall to the ground. They too have a fragrance and life line all their own. Sadly, their beauty lasts only a day or so and the pedals fall to the ground.


  The plum tree catches my eye. I notice its branches growing heavy from its ripening fruit. Amazingly its branches support their weight. Like us, it must let some of its offerings go so that others may flourish.
 I too am learning to let go though it is never easy. I try to teach YaYa new things each day. To help her grow and to be a beautiful and strong individual like the magnolia and the plum trees.
Quickly, the infant in her slips farther and farther away. How I cherish and adore holding her little body in my arms. Sadly, soon she won't fit there. How can such a conflict exist in my heart and mind? The excitement of watching her learn and grow and at the same time feeling the sorrow of slowly leaving the baby in her behind. This is as God intended. Thankfully, I have the flowers and fruit in my garden to remind me to enjoy today for all it offers for tomorrow it too will just be a memory.

1 comment:

Prudence Arcadia said...

Funny how we want our kids to hurry and grow a little so they can keep up with up us, potty-train them so quickly, always hurry hurry hurry.

Then before we know it, you can never go back to those days.

"Sadly, soon she won't fit there."

Man, woman, I still hold my little girl even tho she is 37 in tall and I am 63". She takes up more than half my body when I hold her. I probably look ridiculous! But I grab her everyday and hold and hug her to pieces. I was never hugged much after I got older by my mom, but, I shan't be this way!

OF course, I know you speak of more than just physical hugging and physically letting go. I am trying to say I will be there for her, altho she grows like a weed, without my permission, ha!

I keep a picture of her, one of my favs, and she is about 11 mos, by my bed. I have a sticky attached to it that I scribbled "Remember, it all goes by too fast" to remind me to enjoy every day. Of course every day cannot filed with proverbial roses and sunshine, but one does their best. Your flowers offer that same reminder.

Live in the now and enjoy it! Oh, how Zen of us! (true Zen, not the kind packed and bottled like you see in so many stores today. Ugh.)