A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Special Visitor

Tuesday afternoon a very special person came to stay for a few days, Bird's dad, also known as Boppy.  Do you see the resemblance? It was our first time having Boppy all to ourselves and we were thrilled.  Yaya couldn't wait to play with him, show him her new playroom and tell him everything she knew.  She even had stories picked out ahead of time for him to read to her.

Another special thing about his trip was he was sharing his 69th birthday with us.  We don't get to share many birthdays with Bird's family so we wanted to make sure and treat him like royalty.  Yaya was so cute.  When we picked her up from school she started planning this BIG party for him.  "Let's go get lots of balloons and a pinata for Boppy's party ok?"  It was hard for her to understand adults birthday parties aren't quite the same as kid's parties.  She even pretended she was baking his birthday cake all afternoon.  She kept stacking and restacking things around a candle I had sitting on a plate.  "Boppy, I made this birthday cake for you!" she'd say. She wanted his birthday to be perfect just as much as we did. 

We made Fillet Mignon with vermouth sauce, asparagus sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese and rice pilaf for his birthday dinner.  We treated him to a 90 minute massage for his gift and he requested Apple Pie with vanilla ice cream as his birthday dessert.  Like Yaya, I was thrilled to be able to make his birthday special. (This picture doesn't do his apple pie justice and I forgot to take a picture of the dinner we made.)
 Can you see how Yaya adores him?   She couldn't snuggle in close enough.  That night when he went to climb into bed he found her snuggled up in it and came to get us.  Yaya was so sad she couldn't sleep with him.  She thought it was funny he was scared he might squish her in his sleep. 
Birthday or not, in true Boppy fashion, he couldn't just relax. He needed a project so we put him to work.  We rent a pretty old house and the outlets no longer hold a plug for more than a few minutes.  Boppy replaced them all and showed Bird how to do it too.  I loved watching them work together.  Bird idolizes his father and misses times like this from his childhood so much.  It was a treat to see them share some quality time together playing Bacci, talking shop or just joking around.  My only regret is I didn't get a few more pictures of them together.  
Boppy, as soon as I picked Yaya up from school yesterday she asked where you were.  You were only here for a few days but it felt like you belonged here always.  It was such a treat to have you with us.  Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to swing our way.  We miss you already. 

8 comments:

Susie said...

If you serve dinner and dessert like that more often, he would probably visit every other week:-) Hee, hee, hee.

aspiring... said...

I tend to believe that besides each moment at hand as it passes, all we really have are our memories and our plans. What wonderful memories you have provided for and built so well by your love and consideration and attention.

Debra Kaye said...

This post just touches my heart chords, Frizzy!
Love you, sweet friend. Can't believe that Yaya! She
is the cutest!

cat said...

What a really special visitor. The sweetest post. And I see Yaya has a cabbage patch kids - the Princess has my old one.

Prudence Arcadia said...

What is it with Scorpios and pie? The weekend was my Dad and Uberdemon's (my husband) birthdays, and they'd LOVE that pie! I am so glad he got to stay with you all, isn't it fab when a granddaughter has such a wonderful grandfather? (Momo has one as her other is "in the clouds"-so only having one, she really loves her Tata) I'm so happy you all had such fun!

Frizzy said...

Cat, The cabbage patch doll you see is my old one. Her name is Gabrielle. I've always loved that name because of her! I can't believe you even noticed her. Too fun.

Prudence, I knew who Uberdemon was. LOL. Fall and everything with it must be part of who they are. Bird's birthday is Thanksgiving and he always asks for an extra pumpkin pie all to himself.

Both Bird's grandfathers died when he was tiny so he never knew them. Yaya is so blessed to have 2 grandfathers who adore her. I pray it stays that way for a long long time.

The Blonde Duck said...

This makes me miss my grandfather. And crave apple pie.

aspiring... said...

Frizzy, hi,

Me again. Will you consider stopping by my place :) to offer your answer to a question I've raised in my Nov. 10 post?

With your permission, I invite your readers to do the same. The more the merrier? Well, the more the better maybe in this case :) .

Thanks in any event, <3, aspiring...