A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Whatever Happened To My Transylvania Twist?

Last night, we had an evening of pre-Halloween fun.  I made my friend Jessica's yummy Chicken Corn Chowder for dinner then the festivities began. 


We decorated candied apples.



We decorated the Haunted Gingerbread house my mom brought but the walls and decorations keep falling down.  I guess you could say it's a real fright! Hahahaha! 

  
Yaya drew her pumpkin's face and off she went to watch a Halloween cartoon on t.v. with Nana while Bird and I carved the pumpkins.  (Note to self, buy more pumpkin carving tools for next year.)



I borrowed my blog friend, Nancy's pumpkin decorating idea the Pumpkin Prayer.  It incorporates God into Halloween in a visual way for kids.  I shared the pumpkin prayer and it's meaning with Yaya once my pumpkin was all lit up.  It was wonderful to see her facial expressions change as she learned what each shape represents through a new reminder of God's love for us. 

Our evening ended with salted pumpkin seeds roasting in the oven while the four of us rocked out to the Monster Mash.  Yaya loves this song as much as I did as a kid.  Doing the Monster Mash with her, my mom and Bird might be one of my new favorite memories.  Sigh... Good Good Good times! 



I can't miss the chance to let you have as much fun dancing to the Monster Mash as we did.  Enjoy!
Wishing everyone a very Happy and Safe Halloween!

5 comments:

Prudence Arcadia said...

Good job on the pumpkins! Glad you all had so much fun! Happy Halloween! Have more fun tonight and be safe!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

The pumpkin idea is a cool one! We didn't even do jack-o-lanterns this year. The kids didn't even notice, I'll be honest. But I think it's the first year since 1996 that the Mr. and I didn't carve. :(

Happy Halloween!
k

Mindy said...

You are such a cool mom! All my kids enjoyed about Halloween this year was Treat Street at our church tonight. Maybe Daddy can carve the pumpkins with them tomorrow night.

Rebecca Jo said...

I'm loving ALL the "happenings" here! From the candy apples, to the dancing & the pumpkins!! Those Prayers Pumpkins are AWESOME!!!!!!! What a fun Halloween!!!

Oh - I just bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 - which is making me feel like a dope (Its SOOOO confusing) I just bought a "dummies" book for it to learn all the things it can do... but I've just been using Picnik for now - actually have prefered it over anything... they have some things for free you can use - or they have a annual fee of $24.95 (I think) that offers all they have ... for me, its SOOOO worth it! The Photoshop cost me more then that so hoping I can learn it soon!

cat said...

Great fun. I would also do haloween if one can get God into it. But alas, here there is very little to no halloween around.