A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pumkins Pumpkins Everywhere PUMPKINS

Sunday we headed out to one of the biggest Harvest festivals in the area.  We couldn't wait to see the famous Pumpkin Regatta.  There were 10 competitors.  Each one had what they hoped was the perfect  pumpkin to carve and paddle in a race across the lake.  You haven't seen anything until you've seen a full sized man or woman squeeze into a pumpkin and paddle it across a lake and back.  The last photo in the grouping was the regatta champion.

Yaya was fascinated by the pumpkin carvings.  However, she wasn't sure she wanted to put her hand too close to the pumpkin's mouth. 
This is not Yaya's first hay maze but it is the first time she's manoeuvred one all by herself.
My very own pumpkin bandits.  What's a mom to do? 
This year's harvest theme was "The Rodeo" and we were in awe of the amount of time and creativity people put into their scarecrow entries.  
These are the moments I hope Yaya remembers and cherishes for years to come.  I know I will.

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Do you have any idea how much I love pumpkins? Those are the biggest ones I've ever seen!
That picture of you and YaYa by the fence is the best!

Rowena said...

Oh my gosh Frizzy, I am getting all giddy looking at these pics. I wish we had a great pumpkin festival here too! What FUN! Hmmmm....I think an epic google search is in order right now.

Susie said...

The pumpkin farm is the best thing about fall (other than the pies:-). That is one heck of a pumpkin farm!

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh my gosh... this looks like the BEST time!! I love all things pumpkin! Is that man really IN a pumpkin in the water???? that's amazing!!!

Mindy said...

The paddling of pumpkins is awesome! Was this in EG? I went to it years ago, but it wasn't as cool as it looks now. :)

Nichole said...

That festival looks awesome! I've never been to anything like that. You guys have so many cool things to do out there!

Wow - I can't imagine the patience it must have taken to carve that huge pumpkin face!

cat said...

Such great pictures. Of course, this is all new to me - we have nothing like that over here. It looks like tremendous fun.

Gramma 2 Many said...

Thanks my sweet friend. Knowing you are there and you care means a lot!!
Love every one of your pictures:)
I do not think I could ever crawl inside of a slimy pumpkin to paddle across a lake though.