A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

One Month Ago Today

We received the call about a precious baby boy.  No, we have not forgotten him.  He is in our thoughts and prayers daily.  We know with every fiber in our being we made the right decision for him but like I've said before it doesn't take away the loss or hope we felt in that moment for our own family.  In fact, in the days since making the decision our desire for a child has grown ever stronger. Pretty hard to believe that is even possible but it's true.  Since making that decision our arms have felt emptier.  The ache I felt in my gut while waiting for Yaya has returned.  Holding D's tiny little body in my arms opened the floodgates to all the emotions I had not wanted myself to feel ever again. Self preservation and denial are amazing things until they fight back and bite you square on the butt.

In the days since making that difficult decision we've sought marital counseling.  Difficult decisions and experiences such as this have the potential to pull people apart rather than bring them closer together.  No matter how challenging this adoption process is or becomes we want to do everything we can to stay strong for each other and for Yaya.  During our counseling sessions we've opened new lines of communication and after 11 years of marriage we've learned new things about each other and ourselves.  AMAZING!   When we first walked into our therapist's office probably our biggest question was, "Why?! Why did we need to go through that heartbreaking experience?  What was the purpose of it all?"  I'm so thankful we were both willing to work together to find the answer.  We are already stronger because of the experience and our heartfelt search for the answers.

In the days since making our decision we've also joined an adoption support group.  Attending this group has worked hand in hand with our counseling and both have been such huge blessings.  Meeting other couples who have gone through this or are going through this means so much.   The members of this group are in various stages of the adoption process.  Some adopted their children years ago but continue to come for support and tools as their children enter new phases of understanding their adoption.  Sitting among people who have gone through so much is faith and hope inspiring. 

In the days since making our decision I've found peace in recalling a family said no to Yaya because they didn't feel they were the right parents for her.  Their saying no opened the door to us.  I'm so thankful to them for making that gutwrenchingly honest decision. 

In the days to come I ask for your continued prayers for all the women considering adoption.  I ask that God helps them find the answer that is best for them and their child.  In the days, weeks, months maybe even year to come I ask for your continued prayers for us and our strength, hope, faith and trust in God's ultimate plan.

Our adoption social worker shared the following scriptures with us today.  They were the words/promises I so badly needed to hear. 
Isaiah 41:10 (New International Version)10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Joshua 1:9 (New International Version)9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Lamentations 3:24-25 (New International Version)24 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." 25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;

Click below to continue reading.
Searching for rainbows

10 comments:

Mindy said...

Wonderful verses and thank you for sharing your heart so honestly with us! Hugs!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Love you sweetie. It has been a hard month for all of you, I am sure, but holding His hands, you will all three get through this valley.

Nancy said...

I've always thought that therapy was a good thing! I'm sorry this has been so rough on you guys. Just remember that you're not alone...you have family and friends (even online ones) that are keeping you lifted in prayer.
The saying..."whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" is very true! Yes, I say that from a cancer perspective, but I think it's true for all of us. God brings good out of not so good. He brings peace from chaos, He brings hope from despair!
Hang in there, my friend!!

Susie said...

Good for you to seek help in this trying time.

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear friend-you are so amazingly strong, and so good to know that you have looked for and are finding help and strength. I am continuing to pray for you!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Aah. Daily I repeat "The Lord is my portion." One of my favorites.

Love you.
k

Just Lisa said...

What a wonderful post, it so reminds me of my past experiences. I know that you and Bird and Yaya are becoming even stronger through the process!

Tammy_Skipper said...

I had no idea YaYa had been said "no" to by another family, I can't imagine her being in anyone else's family. I pray for you always and know God has something amazing in store for your family!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful verses.. stay strong.. thoughts & prayers being sent your way.. :-)

Prudence Arcadia said...

Wow! Just wow! *HUGS* Now this has made you both stronger. That takes some courage, big huge courage. I actually thought about that family that did not take Yaya thus giving you the opportunity. And it will come again! You are surrounded by love and the strength of the Heavens. I know this is coming from another Christian perspective, but when you asked about praying for mothers and adoption, I thought of St. Gerard's feast day. It is on October 16, Saturday. St. Gerard is the patron saint of expectant mothers and the unborn. More than ever will I think of these mothers. And I only wish I could be there for you.