Yaya asked for a Butterfly Garden for her birthday and a few weeks ago the caterpillars arrived.
It's been so much fun watching them transition from caterpillars into their chrysalids and finally emerge as butterflies. All 5 of them survived and transformed. The last one emerged from it's chrysalid (cocoon) Sunday while we were at church.
Seeing the joy and wonder on Yaya's face has been wonderful. Hopefully, she'll remember this gift and experience for the rest of her life. I know I will.
We decided to set her butterflies free today and once again Yaya's eyes sparkled with excitement. She couldn't believe she held butterflies in the palm of her hand
and she was elated when she was able to steal a kiss or two or three.
Her spirit seems so at peace in this photo.
Her spirit seems so at peace in this photo.
Moments later her face beamed as she jumped up and down and shouted,
"Fly! Fly! Fly away my little BLUTTERFLIES!"
This ranks as one of our family's favorite experiences together... so much so we plan on ordering the Praying Mantis Garden too.
Thank you so much for your words of support this past week. You'll never know how much they've meant.
12 comments:
Precious pictures. I have always been a bit leary of sending for them, thinking they would not survive. So glad you had something fun to take your mind away for a while.
Those are honestly some of the most beautiful photos I have ever seen. I LOVE the one of her looking through the net. Where did you order that from? Just awesome.
Allie's been wanting this too, but I was afraid I was going to end up with a bunch of butterfly corpses. Now that I see that it works, I might have to order it!
PS-- you have to check out the mall in SF! Drive to Pleasanton so you don't have to worry about traffic or parking and then take the BART in-- the train stops right underneath the mall, you just take the escalator up and you're there!
Susanne,
We bought the Butterfly Garden in a kids educational toy store. It's also advertised on TV all the time.
Once you have the box it has the order form in which you can put your money order in and send off for the caterpillars. It took almost a month to receive them in the mail. We were just about to call and ask what was taking so long when they arrived. Just a little FYI is all.
Thanks for the compliment on my pics. I'm thrilled with how they turned out too!
She is such a sweet and tender hearted little girl! Such memories!
That is so sweet!
OK - I dont know if its the picture of her holding the delicate butterfly - or kissing it - or her words - but I just got all teary eyed!!!!
What a wonderful experience for her. And such beautiful pictures!
What a neat post. And what a BEAUTIFUL girl. Oh my is she just gorgeous!!!
Love it! We did one of these last year. So cool. We were going to order another batch of larvae to do it again and the second batch costs more to order than the kit initially cost...weird.
What a fantastic idea & such beautiful pictures! Definitely something she will remember!
Have a wonderful day
Renata:)
How appropriate...following the experience you just went through. Release meant in so many ways. Beautiful post and I always adore all of the experiences you have with Yaya! You are such amazing parents. Thinking of you and have you in my heart and cannot WAIT to see you and just spend time with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment