A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Exploring Nature's Cathedrals

One of the top destinations on our list of  places we wanted to take my brother and entire family was Big Tree State Park.  My dad, Marc and the boys drove there direct from Tahoe.  Direct may be a poor choice of words.  They had no earthly idea the entire drive would be constant twists and turns.  2 1/2 hours of switchbacks was more than the boy's little tummies could take.  Both of them lost their lunch.  Not exactly the way you want to start a camping trip.  One thing's for sure, it'll be a "camping trip" none of them will forget.

Bird, Yaya and I drove up with the rest of my family the next day.  We packed a picnic lunch for everyone and all 11 of us hiked through the park as a family.  I am so excited my grandparents wanted to come!  My grandmother has a hard time breathing so this was a HUGE stretch for her and her comfort zone.  I'm SO proud of her!  

Look at my beautiful family stretched across the base of this giant tree. 

My grandparents and great aunt standing on the Big Stump.

"The Boys" and Yaya walking through the trunk of an old fallen tree. 
(Bird stands over 6 feet tall and he's only bending his neck a little to walk through.) 

Marc and the boys standing in the base of this tree which was cut out so cars could drive through.    

Looking at this tree makes me sad actually. I pray this tree's life was not sacrificed for our human entertainment. 

We've lived in CA for almost 3 years now and we've driven to Calavaras Big Tree State Park 5 times.  Each visit the landscape has changed.  We've witnessed leaves sprouting, autumn leaves changing color or falling. Snow has blanketed the ground. Water has even flooded the trunk 2 photos above all the way to the top.  We've seen newly fallen trees cross the path.  These tree's roots have wound their way around our family and deep into our hearts and souls. This place and land is sacred.  God's hands created these ancient cathedrals.  I say cathedrals because many of these trees stand taller and more magnificant than the amazing man made cathedrals we've explored in Europe.  I say cathedrals because people make pilgrimages to see these vanishing trees just as they do to their cathedrals, mosques or temples. I say cathedrals because when you stand in their shadow you feel a heavenly presence around you.  It's a feeling we think everyone should have the opportunity to experience.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow! I LOVE the photos. I have never seen trees that big up close. It's got to just be breath-taking.

Thank you so much for leaving such a supportive and encouraging comment on my blog today. If I end up with a diagnosis of Lupus for sure I will check out our local chapter.

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend.

Nichole said...

Your pictures are so cool. I hope to see those trees in person some day. I just can't imagine standing next to something so huge that isn't man made.

I, like you, am a little saddened by the tree with the hole cut in it for cars to pass through.

I hope you have a great week!

Susie said...

Those trees are unbelievable!!

Wisconsin Girl said...

This is a place we'd LOVE to go when we visit, if at all possible. I've drooled over photos everytime you visit and know it would be right up our alley:) What fun that your whole family was there and I LOVE that pic of all of you by the tree. What a wonderful memory...I can see that one going up on the wall:)

Renata said...

What amazing trees & a fun family time you had!
My boys always get car sick on windy roads (sometimes even straight roads) - not fun.
Love that pic of all the family across the base of that tree!
Have a great weekend
Renata:)