A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Remembering the Boys of Fall

As I went about my errands this morning I heard Kenny Chesney's song The Boys of Fall for the first time. The lyrics took me back in time to my parents driveway. I was 16 all over again and I was saying good night to the boy I was briefly dating back then named Chad. He was a star player on our high school football team and could be considered a "Boy of Fall." You can probably imagine I was crazy about him and I held onto every word he said that night. He was passionate about football and listening to him describe what it felt like to run onto the field with his teammates in the fall night air really made an impression on me. What's really crazy is it's as if Kenny Chesney was with us that night because I can't believe how closely he verbalized Chad's words from nearly 20 years ago.

Obviously I never played football but hearing this song brought back plenty memories from long ago. Like "Spirit Week" when we dressed in a crazy outfit each day for a week to support our team before the homecoming game. I remember our high school had what felt like 100 cheerleaders on the sidelines leading cheers for those of us in the stands. I disliked and envied them all. I recall watching the marching band march and play in sink as they took to the field at half time. Mostly, I recall everyone congregating by the consession stand to talk, sitting in the stands holding a cup of hot chocolate to keep warm and of course cheering for our team as they blocked a play or headed for the end zone.

Have you heard this song? If so, what memories of high school does it bring back for you if any? Do you have your own story about the boys of fall?

4 comments:

Nichole said...

Aww..what a fun post. I love hearing songs that take me back to high school! I haven't heard that song but I'm going to go find it on youtube when I'm done here. My and friends and I used to drive around (and around and around) the football practice field.

Guess we are both ready for fall huh!?!

The Blonde Duck said...

I heard this the other day! My first thought was they were playing it really early--but I've seen back to school stuff in shops already, so shows how much I know!

Renata said...

Well I hope it does go quickly because I'm eager for spring!!
Hope you are going well - have a great weekend
Renata:)

Mindy said...

So funny because while visiting my parents we went up to my high school track this morning to walk and let McGee ride his bike and I was flooded with many memories of Fall nights on our football field. It was also the field I played soccer on so it held double memories. One favorite memory was the night my husband caught the winning touchdown in the last 10 seconds of the JV game and then he and I (still just friends at the time) enjoyed hot chocolate, talking and warming our toes in my parents' car during the Varsity game. That was the night he because my "Superstar". :)