"I'm scared of the dark!" has been Yaya's nightly cry as of late. Bird and I have done EVERYTHING to ease her fears short of letting her climb back into our bed. Instead, we've sung to her. We've sat with her. We've prayed with her. We've let her fall asleep in our bed then transferred her. We've turned on kitchen lights above the stove in addition to night lights. We've allowed her to sleep on the couch near our bedroom with 3 yes 3 nightlights on. The livingroom has been lit up like a Christmas tree I tell you! Anyway, after another HORRIBLE sleepless night Thursday Bird went to work looking like a zombie. As he walked in the door to his clinic he shared the details of our night with his receptionist. After a good chuckle, she mentioned her grandchildren having the same problem until her daughter gave them each their own flashlight. She said, having the flashlight allowed them to turn on more or less light as they needed it. Plus, it helped them feel in control.
"Monster" Hunting in our back yard with friends in June.
Last night as he tucked Yaya into bed he handed her our giant flashlight. Let me tell you, she was exstatic to have it in bed with her! We hoped her excitement would last through the night and allow us all to get some much needed sleep. This morning I found her sound asleep with the flashlight on and snuggled into her arm like a baby doll. Next time I see Bird's receptionist I plan on giving her a GIANT BEARHUG! What solutions have you and your family found to this age old problem?
Discovering the Monster in the dark wasn't scary after all. PRICELESS!
8 comments:
What a great idea to cure the fear of the dark!
Love the new look! Are you using Picassa? What a great idea with the flashlight. I'll have to remember that as Sam is just getting a little leary of the dark. He's starting to be scared of thunderstorms and wants his door open instead of closed at night. I told him that the angels are bowling for the thunderstorms and he liked that:) Can't believe how grown-up "little" Yaya is getting! And so beautiful:)
That is an awesome idea!! I was going to suggest a dream catcher or something but the flash light idea is one I had never heard of but it is a good one!
Fortunately, this has never been a problem in our house. That is because the good Lord knows I couldn't handle it!
However, since our kids have always had each other, not one of them can sleep alone in a room!!
(Except Jonah. But that's a whole other story!)
Last night we found our selves in Lynnwood and the girls asked to go eat dinner at "that place where we went with your friend when she was visiting." So we went to the Macaroni Grill. I am impressed that they remember you so well. They talk about swimming at your parents' house all the time as well!
what a blessing she could be... I have given our boys flashlights and they love them... So glad you all can get sleep and she isn't afraid anymore!!!
I never liked the dark either.
I think the flashlight idea was a good one! We didn't really have a "I'm afraid of the dark" problem with our girls... but even at 7 and 9, they still have nightlights in their rooms!
And love love love the header pics!
I like the new look!
Post a Comment