A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A night with the girls

Oh, there's NEVER a dull moment when the 4 of us get together. Seeing them last week was no different. We laughed until our stomachs ached. We couldn't believe we hadn't all been together in over 2 years and decided 2 years was WAY too long. Oh the stories we could tell.
I met these ladies while working as a Social Worker in Las Vegas. In fact, we're all Social Workers. We couldn't be more different or alike at the same time. I learned so much from these ladies the biggest being how to laugh in difficult situations when all you really want to do is cry. Cry for the patient who was just told she/he has less than a month to live or for a family member who is helplessly watching their mother or father slowly slip away from them with Alzheimer's Disease, Cancer, Kidney or Parkinson's Disease etc. etc. etc. We had a difficult job to say the very least. Some days while trying to do everything we could to protect our patient's rights it felt like it was us against the world. Thankfully, when we stepped into our office we knew we were safe and someone had our back. It's very rare that 4 women can work together in an office without backbiting and this was one of those special situations. Each of us brought our own strengths to the team which was such a blessing. They challenged and taught me to be a better patient advocate and Social Worker than I ever imagined I could be.
Myself, Sandra and Lauren
In the past 3 years all but one of us have moved on to new jobs. I'm a stay at home mother, Sandra now works for the state of Nevada, Lauren is a school social worker and Anne continues to work as the Director of Social Services. If by chance you or a loved one has the opportunity to have them as your Social Worker or advocate you should find comfort knowing they are in wonderful hands. Nobody will fight harder for your loved one than these ladies.

6 comments:

Susie said...

You sound like an amazing group of women!!

Mindy said...

What a blessing to be surrounded with great co-workers and friends! Glad you were able to get together last week.

aspiring... said...

Orchestrating leisure time with just one friend can be difficult! But four!? I'd have said all but impossible. Quite a feat! I'm happy for all of you for your history together and for the fun time. God bless...

Debra Kaye said...

Sweet Friend....thank you for checking on me. I'm trying to hang in there. I wish you and your family a beautiful Easter. God bless you!

Unknown said...

Hey Nichole... What a nice surprise this was tonight! (somehow this ended up in my junk mail folder : ( It was awesome to see you, too! Can't wait to do it again!! xoxo

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.