When I was about 6 or 7 my parents bought season passes to Sea World in San Diego. It was one of our favorite places to visit. On this particular day, I recall sitting in the 3rd or 4th row. A few minutes after sitting my dad was approached by a Sea World staff member. He asked if it would be OK for me to participate in the show. I WAS OVER THE MOON EXCITED! I couldn't believe I had been chosen to participate in the Shamu show. I felt like the luckiest kid EVER and I still do today!
Sitting here now, it still feels like it happened only yesterday. I walked up the steps and stood next to one of Shamu's trainers. I answered questions like, "Have you ever touched a killer whale before? Would you like to feed him?" I remember him asking me if I wanted to see what his tongue felt like and then leaning over the tank in order to reach inside Shamu's giant mouth. I recall feeling shocked that it felt like sand paper. SO COOL! I recall putting my arms up in a circle out in front of me and Shamu pushing himself out of the water enough that my arms went around the tip of his mouth/head. A killer whale hug! In that moment my life changed. I fell head over heals in LOVE with this graceful giant. I've been in love with killer whales or any whale for that matter ever since.
(Me with Shamu)
I was so sad to hear one of these beautiful wild animals killed its trainer last week and I was horrified to think they might kill it! If you ask me how I feel about wild animals being kept in zoos or marine parks I wouldn't be able to give you an answer. On one hand I am a person who feels all creatures should be free and in the wild in their natural habitats. On the other hand, I am also a person who experienced first hand how coming face to face with such a beautiful wild creature can teach respect for and create a life long love for animals like no book or television show could have ever done.
My grandparents gave me the picture below when I was a teenager. They said it reminded them of me. I still have it and it's up on Yaya's wall. I pray she and our next child will have a life altering moment like I did. One that opens their eyes to the world they live in and the wonder of God's creatures we get to share it with.
My name is "Frizzy" and I'm a whale hugger and I'm proud of it.
(Taken of me at Sea World in Florida in 1996)


10 comments:
That's an amazing story! Thanks for sharing your love with us:-)
what a fun memory!!!! I bet it is something you would hold forever with you... not everyone can say they touched the tongue of a killer whale!!!
Its so sad to think they would punish this animal for it being what its made to do... its a WILD animal - they still have instincts... & this was an ACCIDENT... its still tragic, but I think if they destroyed the animal, it makes it even more tragic.
What a beautiful story. I believe they should be ambassadors of their species and be where people can see them, but I also believe wild animals stay wild - do not force them too close to people, do things they do not want to. Let them be wild still.
BTW - love your new look, but half the text is in the blue so can not read.
Great story. I have no problem with them being kept in captivity. They do teach us so much. It is an awful tragedy that the trainer was killed. I kind of think he was playing with her and did not mean any harm. One of my favorite places to spend a hot summer day is Sea World. So much would be lost if they were not able to operate.
My granddaughter Shaylene was asked to participate in the show once, but because her dad was not with us she couldn't.
Ohhh, I like the new layout!!! What a super duper neat memory to share! We were so sad to learn of the tragedy that happened in Orlando, we had just been over there in October.
I still love that picture too of the whales! Love the story...I am not sure if I have ever heard it before! Love ya Friz and THANK YOU for your kind words on my blog today! They mean a lot to me.
No, I did not do anything fun today or happy to remove the negative into a positive. Today, was a bad day and I had a break down at work, but I survived!
Thank you for the prayers! They are working and I needed them! One year ago today my life changed considerably. Not something that I thought would ever happen to me in a million years. But, I made it through and I can honestly say, I am a stronger woman for what I have gone through! And I can also honestly say, that I would have NEVER made it through without my BFF! I love and miss you Mucho my friend!
What an amazing story!!!
Thank you so much for stopping by the other day, things have been difficult lately, but all the support I have received from my bloggy friends have helped so much - it means a lot to me!!!
And...I LOVE your new header....too stinkin' cute!!
I just read an article in People about the accident and I don't think they are going to hurt the whale. (I keep thinking, they don't call them "killer whales" for nothing!) It's sad that it happened, but SeaWorld is defending the whale.
It is an interesting topic. I mean, we pull them out of the wild and then try to teach them, but it's hard to remember that they are so much bigger than us and can hurt us easily. Hmmm. I don't know exactly what I think about it. I love our local zoo, where the animals have tons of room. But it's probably not possible for the whales to really have as much room as they need in a place like that.
What a great story - such a memorable moment - definitely something to share with your children & grandchildren.
Post a Comment