A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Walking Among Giants

Last weekend we went camping in Calaveras Big Trees State Park. Let's just get this out in the open Big Trees is an UNDERSTATEMENT! These trees were giants! Don't believe me? Look at their pine cones. Bird is holding a normal pine cone next to one of the giants.

As we arrived it started raining and thundering. Our first priority immediately became getting the tent and table cover up for shelter.

Yaya was such a big help filling every one's cup for lunch.
 
The trees don't look big until you put something else in the photo next to them.
For example, they dwarf these trucks.
Here's the famous "Big Stump." The ranger told us when it fell people miles away felt it and their homes danced side to side. Here my dad and Yaya are standing on top of it in both pictures.

My 6 foot 4 inch husband and dad were able to walk through the center of these trees.

Here's a family photo between two of the giants.

Not sure if you can see him but Bird is in the picture below. He's using his "Super Human Strength" to hold the tree up.
Yaya and her new friend Zoey had fun sitting in this tree's crack. 
 
I took this picture while walking inside the tree seen below it.


The park made some benches like recliners so you could look up and enjoy the canopies of these beautiful trees without breaking your neck.

When we came upon this tree we thought it had been hit by lightning.

 We were saddened by that thought. Imagine how we felt a few minutes later when we read it's name. It was called "A Sacrificial Tree" because it's bark had been stripped from the outside so its shell could be put back together and shipped around the world for viewing.
How could anyone think this was a good idea? So Very Sad!

The cones are almost as big as Yaya and Zoey!
Still don't believe we're walking among giants? Look at the stump of this tree.
 This one is huge but it's still not the largest tree. We didn't make it to that one because we ran out of time.

Back at camp Pappy and Yaya sort sticks to build our fire.

 After dinner, Bird had a little extra energy from the S'mores and decided to "Strike a Pose."
My sweet sweet family by the light of our campfire.

Proof Positive that Yaya had a blast!

We can't remember the last time she asked to be rocked to sleep. It took Bird all of 30 seconds of rocking for her to crash.

11 comments:

Susie said...

Wow!! Those are AWESOME pictures!!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

What a sight to behold! Fun times with your family, too! I love camping - we never get it in enough, but I love it when we go!

Glad things went OK today.
Still praying for complete healing,
Karin

Tammy_Skipper said...

amazing pictures! I love the rocking-to-sleep!

Rowena said...

Gosh I haven't camped for years. This sounded like a blast, and those trees!!! I wish Italy had something like that, seeing how much I love hanging around nature. Lots of sweet family pics here!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Amazing pictures!!
Karin made mention of things being ok today. Another test? Do you have results or an answer?

Alison said...

Looks fabulous!!

Alison said...

I like to spend some time on my weekends endlessly bloghopping to see & 'meet' new (to me!) people... I think I hopped over from a comment on A Familiar Path...

cat said...

These are just awesome! I can almost not think these giants exist. And your cracking joke cracks me up girl!;)

Wisconsin Girl said...

Looks like it was so much fun. Such a beautiful area with so much to see. Nice memories with family too! Great pics!

Debra Kaye said...

Wow....my hubby has been in some of those big old trees but I think you captured them better on film!

Amazing, huh? Can't wait to see what God has in store for us in Heaven!

Love ya, my friend.

Renata said...

Oh My those are enormous trees! I've never seen a pinecone anywhere near that big!
Sounds like a fun camping trip!