A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Baby Steps

On Friday, August 28Th Yaya went from being my baby girl to being my brave big girl. This didn't feel like a little step in our family. It felt like a giant leap. Both Bird and I were so proud of her and her excited attitude towards preschool. She's 3 years old and she couldn't wait! She begged me to take her from the moment she heard we had signed her up. It was nice of the school to invite parents to attend a short day of school with our kids to help them adjust. (Reality check...meeting the teacher was more for us than it was for her.)
Stopping for a quick pose with daddy before she meets her teachers.
Here she takes her first steps through her classroom door. Her first steps of growing without my voice in her ear teaching her or helping her cope with new situations. Her first steps into really becoming an individual. The first steps of letting my little girl go and letting God.
Checking out her cubby.
Here are her teachers Mrs. Brenda and Mrs. Cathy
Those of you who really know me, will recognize how perfect this classroom is for Yaya (and for me). I have loved the ocean and killer whales since I was about her age and I was picked out of the audience to play with Shamu and Sea World.
We couldn't have been happier to learn one of Yaya's best friends would be in her classroom. Here are our friends Aisha and Kristina. (They're also the reason we ever stepped foot in this church and school.)
Sitting together in "Circle Time" Yaya just learned it was time to go home. Her facial expression says it all.
Just like me she wears her heart on her sleeve.
She ran directly to her teacher crocodile tears and all in hopes of staying just a little while longer.
Dear Yaya, I'm so proud of the little person you're becoming and I'm really going to miss being part of every second of your life. I know you think you're ready to be a big girl but for mommy's sake please take baby steps for just a little while longer. No matter what step your taking in life Forever and Always My Baby You'll Be.

11 comments:

Susie said...

Gosh...that just sums up every mother's feelings doesn't it? Every step away from us hurts but we know it is what she must do. That's why I always say...they are born and raised to break your heart.

Nancy said...

Congratulations, YaYa!!!! How exciting! She is adorable and she looks very happy and excited!

Gina said...

Yeah, so we drove up to the class door and JoJo was already opening the car door before I was in park. HE LOVES IT. Such a right decision. Now we will trust God on the finances of it....

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

uh, yeah. i held it together the twins' first day 'til i got to quiktrip to buy gas (on E, go figure) and didn't have a dime on me and no debit card. i BURST into tears at the poor checkout guy who received the brunt of my first-day-mama-blues.

*sigh* i know, mom.
i know.

Renata said...

Well done Yaya!
She sure does look excited to be going - which is great - it's so hard when the child is clingy!
I remember how hard it was sending Zai off to kindy - even when they want to go it's hard for the parents!

gramma2many said...

Good job YaYa!! (And Bird and Frizzy) One more step.

Sissy said...

I am so excited for her. Not every kid is happy about that preschool thing, so you should be relieved. Come to think of it, not every kid is happy about going to Kindergarten, and we see that when they cry getting out of the car each morning!

cat said...

Oh girl, I hear you! They will forever be our babies. I am so happy that she loves school. That classroom looks amazing.

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so sweet! I'm so glad she's excited about going to school! I love dolphins too! Sandie will be so delighted to have new friends!

Anonymous said...

oh she is a social butterfly...that will make life so much easier for you...
Out of 3 boys, I had one just like her and the other two would cry when it was time to go to the nursery at church or school!
Ugh that was so hard.
What a wonderful phase of life you are in right now!
I think you're enjoying every minute of it...and that makes you pretty special!

Bettina said...

Ahhhh, way to go Yaya!!! This is one of many BIG days in your future, they are so precious, breathe them in! Also I am a bit sorry to be the one to tell you but they do not get any easier at all, at least not in my world (remember, I am the one who just let the girl go off to college in MO while I am in FL)

I am trying the meatballs next IKEA trip!!!! and the jelly :)