A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Day in Valencia

We decided not to take a guided tour in Valencia so the shuttle dropped us off in front of the train station in Valencia. To its left is the ancient Bull Ring where they still have bullfights.
Believe it or not, our first stop was not to visit the train station or the ancient bull ring. Nope!
Bird had his priorities though they may have been a little skewed.
The man needed his caffeine fix. I can still hear him saying,
"Ahhhh! Now, that's what I call the nectar of the God's!"
From there we got a little turned around not lost we just weren't sure where we wanted to go or what we wanted to see. A typical case of too many things too little time. We knew we had to meet the shuttle back in front of the train station and bull ring so we decided to wait to see them last.
The church I rolled my ankle in front of. (Grace is and has never been my middle name.)
As my ankle swelled and throbbed we made our way to the Central market. Street vendors were everywhere, even on a Sunday.
We wandered into a few beautiful churches and this building but have to admit I can't recall it's name. Have I mentioned my love for wrought iron? If you click on the photo you'll be able to see Latin written on the black line at the back of the picture.
Time for lunch and a drink to cool off. We found a little restaurant in an alley. It was pretty much all locals which was nice and added to the ambiance. We shared mini hamburgers that were supposed to be spicy but weren't. They had good flavor but were pretty rare for my taste. We also shared some tasty french fries. They came with mayonnaise on the side for dipping. We were shocked to find how spicy it was. Turns out it was flavored paprika! Hate to admit it but those fries were the best part of our meal.
The real story began when we decided it was time to go. Before leaving, we went inside to pay and we spotted the HUGE pot of paella pictured below cooking. Paella is said to have originated from Valencia. It looked and smelled wonderful! UNTIL, we watched Mama double, triple and quadruple dip her spoon as she tasted it for seasoning. Mamma mia!
Spain is known for their tiles. I thought it was neat how they even decorated the bottom of their balconies with the tiles. You might have to click on the picture to get a better view.
These huge tile murals were in front of the shops in Valencia and portrayed what was sold inside.
We were told we needed to try the local drink called, Horchetta. It was cold, thick but not thick like a milkshake. The people at the table next to us said it reminded them a bit of chalk but with a better flavor. I've read horchetti (sp?) can be made from nuts or rice milk with cinnamon and lots of sugar. Bird and I enjoyed ours but were glad we had chosen to share. It might have been a bit rich for only one person to enjoy.
Turns out the battery in my digital camera died just as we went back to take pictures of the bullring. We have it on video but not in a still shot. Grrrr! Lesson learned. I hope you don't mind my adding this link to show you what the station and ring look like. We were really looking forward to going inside but learned only after arriving that it was closed on Sundays. We would really like to have seen the Holy Chalice or Grail which is located in Valencia but ran out of time. Guess that means we'll just have to go back again and visit again.

10 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

It sounds so cool!

Sissy said...

So fun to see all the things you're doing in Spain. I loved being there and seeing all the architecture. I do have to comment about their Metro system...we have been in NYC this week, and I have totally found that London, Paris and Barcelona have way easier systems. Or at least, they are more clearly marked. The London Underground is so easy to use, and in each train they have a little rolling screen that tells you what the next stop is...and a map in each train. NYC does not. If you're lucky, you get on a train with a conductor that announces what the next stop is, but most of the time we did not.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

been chillin out just listening to your playlist all night - great tunes!

luvyou,
karin

cat said...

That's the good thing about touring - you never see everything and you always have a reason to go back!

Mummy McTavish said...

I love wrought iron too!

I am loving taking this trip with you, it so much fun to see where you went and what you saw!

Rowena said...

That pan of paella is enormous! And glad that you tried the horchetta because if I should ever visit there, I'll be wanting a taste of that myself. Looks like you both were on a pretty tight schedule, and that's always the stinker when on a tour. Lovin' your positive vibes anyway...makes me wanna get out there!

Susie said...

I love paella!!! That' looks spectacular!!

Renata said...

Wow - what a great place!!! Those tiles are amazing & I love the wrought iron chandeliers are just lovely!!! I definitely think your hubby has his priorities in place however - a good coffee is essential!!!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Great pictures and looks like you had so much fun!!
Maybe someday in my lifetime I will make a trip to Europe too. Actually, I want to go to Ireland and Israel.

Prudence Arcadia said...

Caffeine is very important! Anyways, WOW that is a big paella! Oh, in Hungary, they use paprika on their fries too-YUM! Paprika is pretty much everywhere there tho.... I have big love for the tile murals!