Why does it seem like some days or weeks drag on endlessly while others fly by? The past few weeks have been horribly slow and often it's felt like we've been caught in a Groundhog's day if you will. Sick kid. Sick husband. Sick me. Each of us with different colds, stomach bugs and/or viruses. In the mean time, the house looks like it's falling apart because nobody has the energy to clean. Laundry gets done only out of necesity and the same goes for the dishes that have piled up from one side of the counter to the other. In our tiny kitchen that doesn't take long. Not even vacuuming has been done. For those of you who have follow me or know me in person you know that's a bad day in Frizzy's household! In addition to a sick kid, she's also been a crabby and whiney kid. That's never fun and even more exhausting emotionally and physically on us all. UGH!
We had a small meltdown today when I tried to talk to Yaya about our upcoming trip. First, she said she wanted to come with us. When I said we were all flying to Seattle she said, "YEAH! I'll see my cousins and you and daddy can go on your trip. I'll play with my cousins at their house, with their toys and we'll slide down their stairs and play. Then we can go outside and make snow angels in the snow...but they don't have any dolls!" I had to stop her there and remind her the snow was all gone and that her cousins had lots of dolls. She didn't care she was so excited. She couldn't wait and wanted to go RIGHT NOW! "PLEASE!" I tried everything to explain we couldn't go today because it's too far but that we'll go in 2 weeks. I even got out my calendar and showed her. We crossed off today together and I put a happy face sticker on the day we'll arrive there. (I thought this might help prepare her for the little chart I'm making for when we're gone to Europe.) She had no interest in it what so ever. She just couldn't understand why we couldn't se her cousins today. She thought I was saying, "No" just to be a mean. It broke my heart!
Soon after that, the clouds over our home and moods seemed to lift. I took Yaya to Arby's for roast beef sandwiches. She sat across from me like an angel! She didn't even need a highchair today. She didn't squirm. She didn't play with her food or make a huge mess. She acted like a little lady and even wiped her face with her napkin. Just when I thought I couldn't be any prouder of her she suprised me again. She heard an ambulance drive by with it's siren blaring and she said, "Momma, we need to sing Jesus Loves me for those people in trouble. Will you sing with me?" We did exactly that.
The rest of the day has been just as sweet. We spent an hour or so at Target. She listened to my rules and understood we would go to the toy section ONLY if she let mommy do her shopping first. Miracle of miracles she continued to be sweet as sweet as can be and sung songs to herself the whole time. A woman even commented, "Looks like you've got a happy little radio there." I smiled proudly saying, "I'm a lucky mommy aren't I." To which, Yaya said, "Momma, I'm not a radio. I'm Yaya!" LOL
The highlight of my day was when we layed down to nap. Yaya has never been a child who liked to snuggle facing me/us. She fights it most days but today was different. Today, she let me snuggle her while she faced me. She even asked, "Momma, will you put your arm around me please?" I sang her to sleep nose to nose. She even put her little arm around my neck. This is a major breakthrough for us and my heart is so full it could burst. Please pray this closeness continues in the next few weeks and after we return from our trip. It's something we've been very worried about with her as of late.
No comments:
Post a Comment