This is a picture of our guest room. I like it but feel it's lacking a little (or maybe a big) something.
Each time I think I've accepted how it looks I stumble across
rooms like these and my "fever" starts all over again.
Photos from Pottery Barn On Line
I think I have pretty simple taste. Nothing too over the top or extravagant. I'm obviously a bit of a country girl at heart. I like balance and clean lines. That said, I am at a complete loss of how to finish pulling my guest room together. If we owned this home I would paint it in a heartbeat. However, we're renting until our home in Vegas sells. I have seen and loved many of your home decorating project posts. If you have any decorating ideas/suggestions for this room they would be appreciated.


13 comments:
It needs a little layering and softening....maybe a bright throw rug at the bedside, shells in jars on the table, and more stuff on the walls. Easy peasy right? Maybe a bench-y kind of thing at the foot of the bed? Definitely needs a lttle wall decor, but you've got a great room there!
I think its in the air... I've heard so many people who want to redecorate right now...
Would your landlord really scream if you painted? I think maybe a little color on the walls and new window treatments would work wonders!
I love the bed!
I need help with my house too, and I have no idea what to do!
I love that sleigh bed! To die for wonderful : ). Good luck with your project!
Change the bedspread and dust ruffle to something more contemporary. And like J'Ollie says some layering.
What do I know...I do not have any decorating credentials.
I think this is where your friend Karin needs to step up:)
haha G'mama! Know what I suggest? There's a new show coming on HGTV that's all about renting and making it look pretty when you can't do anything to it that you really would otherwise do. Watch that. Oh. and you basically have the bed - buy a simple white comforter, go all Nester on the place and use some white sheets to make a simple bedskirt by folding it such and so (or buy the ensemble and be done with it --- Walley World or Tarjay...). Keep looking for more inspiration. Oh. Another one to check out? HELLO! The Lettered Cottage - you will D.I.E. (Google it. you will never be the same.)
love you.
your friend, Karin
I really like the furniture and the bedding - but I think the curtains need work - if you re-do them the whole place will look different. And the pictures on the wall doesn't work - what about a floating shelf with some nice objects and picture frame on?
Oh I would also, if possible, swing the bed at 90 degrees - we were always taught not to put a bed against a window as you make the room feel much smaller by blocking it's eye(window) by furniture.
I'm so not a decorating person.
Ok, if you can't put color on the walls, then you need to put it on the biggest thing in the room: the bed. Having a patterned comforter that is mostly white isn't helping. You could switch to something solid and then layer on tons of cheap throw pillows. Also, you can hang curtains on the walls...just run a wire curtain rod thing about 3 inches from the ceiling all the way across the wall behind the bed and get floor to ceiling drapes.
Those are my suggestions...take what you want and throw out the rest.
Hi Frizzy, I don't know about the rules of decorating - I go by feel. BUT! I can also tell you that my house is a masterpiece! :) As you know my husband and I restored it (had to). Done very basically and simply, yet it became a masterpiece. We still look at the house in awe and at each other and wonder - how did we do this? :)
Anyway, so here goes. As it is, the room and your belongings are lovely. Period. Ready and functional, too! As for ideas?
The window in your guest room would look nice without the bed in front of it. Not only that but it would be nice for guests to have access to the window to look out of it or to open it, and to open/shut curtains.
The bed is beautiful. Magnificent. It - that headboard! - deserves its own wall. Away from the window. Can the bed be moved to the wall on the left side of the photo?
Curtain color. Bright daylight with the blue fabric has a harsh feel to me (it's me). Pick one of the warm tones from your bed cover. (Are there yellows or peaches in it?) If the tones in the bed cover are not warm, then do the curtains in a warm brown, which would also be a nice balance to the heavy headboard on the other wall. Horizontal wood blinds would be great, too.
Throw rugs are a good idea. Vintage-look, cotton, patterned? Predominantly white or ivory like your bed cover, with flowers or other delicate patterns that are in colors the same as the colors in your bed cover. Wow! (Hope I said that right.)
Wall hangings and lighting and their placement can/will fall into place afterwards. Hard to say at this point but I'm thinking bold colored art for the walls, one larger piece, incandescent bulbs and dark shades on the lamps.
I just checked out your comments and saw that Sissy said just about what I going to say! Not that I'm an expert...but it's nice to know at least one other person thought like I did. If you can't color the walls, I would add some color and pop on the bed. That is the biggest thing in the room. Also, some artwork on the walls...but you'd have to think about your style and what talks to you. Would it be a collage of family photos in different frames? A shelf with some collectibles and things that define you and your family? Kid's art work? Some kind of bold wall art? (check bed bath and beyond or Pier 1 for ideas) What fits your taste the best...then think along those lines.
I have the redecorating fever myself. But that's my whole of April project! :)
I love your room. I would love to curl up on that bed and read a good book.
One thing that would look kinda cute would be a serving tray on the bed.
Post a Comment