A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Friday, January 23, 2009

So many things to say...

For those who've been following the love story between the Fuzzy Duck and Yellow Chicken be sure to click Here for the next chapter.
Yesterday, I talked about how crazy this week has been for me and my family. I also made a quick reference to Tuesday and President Obama's swearing in. There was no way I was going to watch it on the internet later or via recording. I wanted to witness history as it happened. You all know I did not vote for Obama. You all also know that I am proud to see our country grow in such a beautiful way. I love it when "We, the people" are united as one as we were on Tuesday. Seeing all the happy faces in the crowd full of hope and smiling for the arrival of a new day was...well, INSPIRING beyond belief.
I loved sitting in front of my daughter and telling her how "Today is a wonderful day in history and you and I are soooo lucky to be a part of it." I know, I'm such a big cheese. I even took pictures of the tv while Vice President Biden and President Obama took their oaths. I also love how our First Lady looks at her husband with such pride and admiration.
I clapped, cried and cheered as if I were in the middle of the crowd at our Nation's Capital. Yaya watched me with curious and concerned eyes. She worried when I cried tears of happiness (along with my fellow American's on the television) and she cheered along with me when I clapped and shouted, "AMEN!" She's starting to comprehend her mommy is an emotional train wreck at times. Especially happy times. LOL!
My favorite part of Obama's speech was when he addressed other national leaders who may wish to harm us. He said, "Remember this, your people will judge you on what you can build NOT by what you can destroy." AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!!! I LOVE THESE WORDS! Look at the legacy Martin Luther King Jr. built in all it's glory. A NEW DAY HAS INDEED COME! I loved how his speech reflected on all of our nation's history not just the past 40-60 years. The symbolism of the cannons and all they represent in days both yet to come and those days gone by had me in tears once again.
I listened to many talk shows that day on the radio. Many of them ripped apart this eloquent speech and even the quote above. I don't care what they say and I know millions of Americans agree with the words President Obama said. I would much rather follow someone who is helping to build a beautiful legacy like our country is building together vs. be a prisoner to someone's tyranny or threats if I don't agree with him.
Here's another shot I took with my camera while watching the ceremony on tv. LOVE IT!
I pray we can hold on to feelings of hope as time goes on and we don't see eye to eye.
I'm also inspired by something Starbucks started in honor of this new day and spirit of citizenship. After all, we are each responsible for making our country better.
"Starbucks has created their "I'm In" pledge. "If you come to Starbucks until Sunday [January 25, 2009] and you pledge five hours of community service, you will get a free cup of coffee," "Their goal is to raise the 1 million hours that the staff at Starbucks has already pledged. We need to go out and match it."
What do you think about this post and Starbuck's challenge?
If you need a little INSPIRATION today click on, "America's Song" by Will I Am and David Foster. (Be sure to hit pause on my playlist music below before listening to America's Song.)
I am totally in love with it! Happy Friday EVERYONE!

14 comments:

Valerie said...

I watched it on Tuesday too. I am hopeful and felt happy watching my tv. It is a special time for our nation and we all do need to do our part. Great post by the way!

Unknown said...

I have continued to tell our children that although we did not vote for Obama, we need to have respect for him as our President. I pray for unity, as well as his conversion on some of the crucial ideology that I disagree with him on.

Unknown said...

I am sooo hopeful.. I love that whether you voted for him or not, people are standing together to do what is best for our country.

Rowena said...

Aggggh...I'm going to start crying again! It was that image of him circulating the web where he's making the "shaka" sign. I miss my island home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

ive been euphoric ever since the election... its been a long time since i was proud of my country and proud to call myself an american. im surprised by how good it feels!

Sissy said...

We had a snow day so I stayed in and watched. I loved all that patriotic stuff and really liked getting to see it firsthand instead of in replay. My husband and I watched it together.

Rebecca Jo said...

It was a very touching day... My favorite was when Obama's daughter gave him the thumbs up... wasn't that the most precious thing ever!

BBB said...

It was a very moving day in a lot of different ways.

Now we see how the rubber meets the road.

Susie said...

I was a great day!

The Blonde Duck said...

Come to my blog! The date is up!

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

We watched it! It was part of one of our homeschool lessons. I think he will be a great president.

Hugs

Anonymous said...

There are so many things I like about President Obama.
I'm focusing on them today.

Have a good day!

Nancy said...

Two awards for you on my blog....one from 1/16. I think you're terrific!!!

I watched it too, though with much less excitement than you. I will continue to pray for our new president....

Jess said...

I took the day off and was glued to the TV all day. It was a great day and its nice to see how respectful people are being even if they didn't vote for him.