A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Question for all you semi or professional photographers out there.

I LOVE this picture of my daughter from last Christmas! It's captured her smile and personality to a tee. That said, I feel there is more that could be done to improve this picture. Any suggestions would be helpful. I would also love to see any of your finished tricks on the photo itself just to see how it could be improved as well as what you did and what programs you used. I'm a beginner and would love any help you can give.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Picasa (google) has a few tricks you can use. Also, my hubby is a fan of Gimp. it is a free program and pretty user friendly.

Unknown said...

It is a great picture, BTW!

Dawn said...

Over the weekend I'll try to remember to come grab it and run it through photoshop elements and send it back to you. :)

It's beautiful.

aspiring... said...

Hi, the title of your post caught my eye while visiting at Nancy's 'Be Not Afraid.' I'd be glad to help if I can. Tell me more though. Artistic. What is it you'd like to have done with it yourself but didn't or couldn't. Can you say (to help me steer you)? Why the feeling that it could be better? Technical stuff. Is the original digital or 35mm? How do you plan to display it? 5x7? 8x10? Print? Computer image only? Consider cropping, coloring. Etc., etc. I can touch it up for you or try to help you touch it up, according to your ideas. Or I can also just do what I'd do if it were mine! It's your call. I'm not pro or a techie, but I have a lot of business and leisure time in with an older version of Photoshop. I'll look for a message here from you!

Anonymous said...

i dont know your email so i just made a quick post on my blog regarding my edits to your already gorgeous photo!!
check out my latest post!! :)

Julie said...

I know someone already offered to help you with the picture, but if you want to play around with it yourself, you can go to www.picnik.com and for free use their easy software, it is a lot of fun, and i am sure you would love playing around with different looks. Enjoy

aspiring... said...

Hi, I got your message and have some ideas. Will you post the original photo along with this one you've touched up? From that I'd like to try an 8x10 close-up for you of your daughter only. I'll look for and load both images into Photoshop on Sunday afternoon, and will work on the best of the two on Mon. or Tue.

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I'd love to play around with your photo a bit if you still want help with it. If you send me an email at iheartfaces@hotmail.com, I'll send it back to you that way.

~Angie
co-founder of iHeartFaces

Mum-me said...

I am only an amateur photographer and not terriby experienced with photo programs, but I just wanted to comment on what a gorgeous photo it is, and how she seems to really stand out from the background.

Susie said...

We do all our work in Photoshop.

That is a GREAT picture of your kids. How smart of you to reach out for suggestions:-0

Tammy_Skipper said...

Hey lady! It looks like you've gotten a ton of help. If you are looking for tips for future picture taking, I think you could try to minimize what is in the background (imagine for instance if they were turned just a bit more so the tree is almost the only thing behind them but still along the edge so you get the 'line' of the tree coming down.) When you look at the colors...her dress really helps her "pop" but it also draws the eye to the pink in the other girl's dress and the red on the armchair behind. At first glance, most people will not realize these details, but the more you study it and try to improve future shots, those are things to consider. You are looking for balance in color and proportions. It really is a great shot!

aspiring... said...

Hi Frizzy, I looked at the photo you posted in my graphics program, and the print size of it is about 6x8. If I remember right. So a portrait, or close-up, of her will be quite small. If you can take a minute to post the original image, the one from your camera (with a much much greater print size), I have a few ideas to create an 8x10 portrait of her from that original, which can't be done from the smaller one you have posted now. (I don't want and don't mean to be a pest. Are you still interested?) :)