A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Friday, January 30, 2009

ZIZI TOP

This is the story of our dog Zizi (like ZZ Top).
We were visiting friends near Sunrise Mountain in Las Vegas when she came walking down the road with her head hung. She was skinny and her hair was filthy. Our friend said he'd seen her wandering around for a few days but he hadn't been able to get her to come to him. My heart cried out for her. She looked so sad! I sat down on the ground and we coaxed her over with some water. Bird and I decided we would rescue her and try to find her owners.
That night, we took her to a few pet stores but none of them would groom her w/o proof of shots. So, we took her home and Bird hopped in the shower with her. Not the smartest thing in the world to do with a stray dog but thus far she had been as mellow as could be. He was in the shower with her for over an hour washing her and cutting tar from her fur. The pads on her feet were raw from walking the streets of Las Vegas for who knows how long. She had a slash around the bottom of her neck from a rope or some other sort of restraint. In addition, she had puncture wounds on top of her nose and under her jaw from something sharp. We wonder if she'd been dumped in the desert. We have 2 other dogs and we didn't want to risk passing on any possible diseases/bugs to them so Zizi slept in our back yard. She didn't move from our back door all night. She just layed their w/o moving.
The next morning, Bird took her to our vet and got her updated on all her shots. He found she had a microchip and called her previous owner. He had given her away but didn't have the new owners number anymore. Good story but we're not sure it's true. He said he would take her back if we were going to put her in a shelter but otherwise he had too many dogs already. We feared she may end up back on the streets if we took her back to him so we started looking for a new home for her. Unbeknownst to us she had already found a new home. OURS! That same day, Bird took her to the groomer to have some more pampering and professional grooming done. What a beautiful dog she was and she looked like a puppy. In reality we learned she was about 7 years old. We also learned she didn't know what a chew toy was. She didn't know how to play. She didn't even know what to do with a raw hide. She had been completely neglected by her past owners. She wanted to be under our feet at all times and often didn't even move if you stepped on her by accident. Once she even put her mouth on our hot oven door w/o flinching. I'm not sure if she feels much or if she was so used to pain these things didn't bother her. SO SAD!
Of our 3 dogs she is the best behaved and quietest. She'll do anything for your love and is extremely loyal and protective. She lays in front of Yaya's bedroom when she naps. She lays between me and any door when Bird is gone. She is the first one to notice if someone approaches our front door. Like many things in our life we didn't plan for her. We're sure thankful she wandered into our life though.

14 comments:

cat said...

What a lovely story! I am truly a dog lover and am convinced that they are just as much sent to us with their own characters and love to add than the human members of our families. She is also a beauty!

MaricrisG said...

Zizi is so cute! I wish I could have a pet dog but my hubby is not a dog person so it's tough having one esp when he's the one home all day with the doggie! :) Btw, you'll find my email add via my contact section in my blog. Hope to get your info soon. I'm looking at sending the stuff on monday. Not much but I hope you like it.

Dawn said...

I loved this story as well. What a sweet dog!

Mummy McTavish said...

What a sweet dog. My sister had a dog once that was a protector. I felt quite safe taking him for a walk late at night because he wouldnt even let me walk on the same path as someone coming towards me or aproaching from behind, he would get between us and steer me away.

Susie said...

What a sweet story:-)

Debra Kaye said...

Oh sweet friend...this breaks my heart and touches it so at the same time! I am so glad God brought her to you!

Lots of love to you!!

Unknown said...

Such a sad but SWEET story... So glad she has a good homed now.

Thanks for the link, I am going to check out the blog now...(thanks for keepig me in mind!)

DiPaola Momma said...

I think with all the love in my life, a wonderful hubby, 4 healthy happy kids, amazing friends, great bloggy pals, a family that is out of this world.. I know about many kinds of love, sometimes there is just nothing that compares to the love of a pet. If my husband didn't rein me in our house would turn into a shelter! You are lucky that ZiZi found you just as she is lucky she did too. All of my pets, my whole life have been rescues. I feel it's a calling. I'm stopping by because you left me a very sweet message about my sentiment for Baby Tuesday and her family. Thank you very much for the comment. I felt every word I wrote, and still do. I pray that God grants them a miracle but I suspect that isn't likely in his plan so I pray for their peace and with thanks for what Tuesday in her short life, even never having met us, has done to teach my daughter about prayer and caring for others. Have a great weekend, and thanks again.

Rebecca Jo said...

Poor baby!!!! That she didnt even know what a chew toy was... oh, the life she has now.. I truly believe that animals like this understand how you save them & appreciate it...

And she is a beautiful dog!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww...ZiZi! I remember you teaching her how to play! She sure found her way into your hearts and has a much better life because of it:)

Renata said...

That is so sad - I'm glad she's in a happy home & will be properly looked after! Good on you!

LaceFace said...

I love this story, you guys are wonderful for taking her in. Sounds like she's a great companion and worth the risk. =) You had made a comment on my blog about what work I would look for in CA. I'm a nurse, so I would look for an RN position out there. I'm sure, as in KY, that there are no shortages of open positions. Unfortunately, my parents would flip their lids if I left (only child).

Shannon said...

I just love it when a sad story has a happy ending! She's a beauty!

Rowena said...

I can't tell you how much this made me all teary-eyed...phooey to those owners who can not take care of their dogs!!!!!

You and Bird are the best ever...thank goodness Zizi found you!