Today is my grandfather's 79Th birthday.
He's the best grandpa ever! He's someone who knows what it means to give of himself and ask for nothing in return. I even have proof how awesome he is! Take a look Here at an article that mentioned a few of his hobbies/talents. He was also featured in the following video Here. Then, click where it says Video in blue at the top of that web page. When someone needs help he jumps right up and readily gives his time. For example, he made 5 wooden Stars of David in various sizes for a fellow blogger's home school project. I kept this one for myself, couldn't resist!
I told him I liked them so much he made me a few more for our Christmas tree.
We received this beautiful carving of California for Christmas. He's made a few more for my dad's co-workers, plus one of New York State for our friend, Beth after she underwent brain surgery.
I received the peacock shown below for my college graduation. He said, "I saw this peacock and I knew I had to make it for you. I wanted you to know I'm proud as a peacock!"
I am so lucky to have him as my grandpa. Growing up many of my friends adopted him as their own and Bird has done the same. As a kid, I loved spending time with him in his garage during our family vacations. He's a bicycle repairman so there were always bikes waiting for us to ride and lots of fun things in his garage to explore. My brother and I used to get filthy playing in his garage during our summer visits. Last summer, Yaya and her cousins did the same.
Each time I call he's helping the church, community, family or friends. As a result, he's earned a few awards including Volunteer of the Month and even Volunteer of the Year in his community. He also received the Silver Beaver Award. It's the highest award you can receive through the Boy Scouts of America. His greatest joy comes from time with his grand kids though.
He's 79 and still plays on the floor on his hands and knees with his great granddaughter.
I think they're smitten don't you?
I love you grandpa and I want you to know how proud of you I am! I hope you have a wonderful day today. I wish we could be with you to celebrate. Yaya has asked where you and grandma are every day since you returned home. She misses her great grandpa very much and so do I.
Happy Birthday Grandpa!





19 comments:
OMGoodness... those carvings are AMAZING! Happy Birthday Grandpa!
What a talented artist he is! WOW!
You are lucky to have such a WONDERFUL Grandpa! ;-)
How incredibly talented! I think I love that last photo the best though. Grandad's are so funny about their little girls, then the little girls of their little girls now that's really special!
Wow! He is one TALENTED man!!!
Happy Birthday to him!!!!
I'm in awe.... that craftmanship is amazing!!!! The peacock just brought tears to my eyes on why he made it for you.... What a blessing you still have your grandma in your life!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDPA!
I'm in awe.... that craftmanship is amazing!!!! The peacock just brought tears to my eyes on why he made it for you.... What a blessing you still have your grandma in your life!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDPA!
He sounds like a really great grandpa! I hope he has a great day:-)
What an incredibly talented man!!!
And so CUTE too.
You are so blessed. I miss my grandpa a great deal....
WOW!!! If he's ever bored - he can make a carving of Guatemala for us! tee hee!!
OR - would he be willing to go one if we pay him?? SERIOUSLY! Let me know!
Happy Birthday! How wonderful...he has a great smile!
-sandy toe
What a great man!!!
Love the carvings! Your grandpa is amazing!
I'm doing good. I will find out everything tomorrow.I don't think it is anything. I havn't had anymore so don't know.
Hugs
He sounds like such a sweet man :o). And what a wonderful woodworker!
Those are so cool! Love 'em!
Happy Birthday Grandpa...from Florida!!
Count me in as one of those who would love to think of your grandpa as their grandpa! That carving work is amazing!! Buon Compleanno Nonno!
Grandpas are just the best, aren't they. Your grandpa has true talent. Working with his hands and with his heart in everything he does. So sweet to see Yaya with him in his workshop, just as you used to do...very special!
Aw, what a special post! Hope your grandad had a grand birthday!
LOVE the ornaments!
What a talented man!! I cannot believe the carvings. The peacock will certainly become an heirloom, as will everything else he lays his talented hands on.
Happy Birthday Grandpa!
How lucky for Yaya that she still has a G.Grandpa and one that is healthy enough to enjoy her.
Post a Comment