Part 1 of A Change in Holiday Plans
We woke up the next morning and headed directly to Starbucks and a gas station. As we got out of the car this was the view. Dark but pretty don't you think?

While checking out of our hotel, we learned the town was known for it's covered bridges. We couldn't resist checking out a couple of them before heading down the road.
Notice, there wasn't any snow on the ground? We had no idea what was waiting for us up the road. We pulled over for lunch and a break in Salem, Oregon. The roads hadn't been too bad til then. From Salem to just outside of Portland we drove about 10-20 miles an hour! The roads were pure ice and snow. Cars were pulling over again to put chains on. (Click on the picture to read the warning sign.)
To give you an idea of the traffic in both directions.
I started going a little nutty as I tried to avoid the potholes and divots caused by the chains. It felt like we were driving over a cheese grater so I drove on the shoulder. I didn't pass anyone, I just drove on the untouched snow. I prefer my brains to be neither shaken or stirred by a highway.
Yaya had a good nap. Reading the map for mommy wore her out!
Driving through the snow made it feel more like Christmas that's for sure. Here's a few good shots Bird took along the road.
I love the picture Bird took of the Mormon Temple below. Doesn't it look like an ice palace with the white marble exterior and everything around it covered in snow? I like the close-up Bird took of the ice and snow covered branches too!
We pulled over for a quick break in Olympia, WA. Yaya couldn't resist throwing her first snowball at a cop car of all things.
She tried to hide behind a huge snowman.
He found her & threatened to take her in & throw the book at her.
Lucky for her, the policeman was actually uncle, Kevin. He was able to meet us just before he went on duty that night. Yaya sure wrapped him around her little finger quickly. She kept hugging and kissing him saying, "I love you unca Kevin!" I'm not sure if I should be proud of her or worried she's practicing getting out of trouble with future law enforcement officers. What do you think, do we have cause for concern here?

We finally pulled up to Bird's parents home at 7:30 P.M. that night. Yaya rang the doorbell while Bird and I hid around the corner. It took a few minutes for grandma, Bo to come to the door but when she did Yaya exclaimed, "Surprise!" Bo said, "Well what on earth are you doing here? You're supposed to be stuck in California!" Yaya was able to sneak downstairs and surprise grandpa Boppy too. It was a very special way to start our Christmas vacation!

I hope you all have a fun, healthy and safe New Year tonight and throughout 2009!
I'll post more about our trip in 2009!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
15 comments:
I enjoyed the "trip" with you. I like the snow-lined roads and the snow on the fir trees. They were pretty. Happy New Year! I hope Yaya doesn't grow up loving throwing snowballs at cop cars unless it's Uncle Kevins'! :)
I am glad you're safe! What beautiful pictures!
Happy New Year!
And I thought I was traveling in bad weather! Thankfully we both made it safely where we were going and back!
YaYa is just adorable! I love her expressions, they are priceless!
Happy New Year, friend :)
Glad you made it safely!!!
Love the pictures how cool!!
Happy 2009!
What a wonderful Christmas adventure :) I'm so glad it all turned out so well after such a frustrating start. Sounds like some lovely memories were made.
Happy New Years! The Fuzzy Duck blows the Rubber Chicken a Kiss!
I am just loving this story! Yaya and Uncle Kevin were the best!!! He is just loving that little princess already and isn't it amazing how she is just so happy even after being in the car and in those conditions!
I can't imagine driving in those conditions but I am so happy you guys made it safely and had the adventure!!
I love ya sweet one! Happy New Year!
wow! what an awesome suprise for your folks?!
your pictures are awesome...and how fun for yaya to have snow for christmas?!!
What a fun way to surprise Grandma and Grandpa!
Happy New Year!
What an exciting Christmas!!!!
That is awesome photography! I just read a blog from another girl I knew in Italy who was trying to fly to Portland during all that and got stuck a ton of places and had no luggage til 10 hours before the return home! I hope your visit was great, hugs!
such great, great pics!!!
nope, I don't think you post til you win. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's you :)
And as for the game, yup, you would've had to have been there - I don't recall which team you were on. However, I CAN tell you all I did was plunk the ball right in front of the pitcher, and when I tried to outrun the ball, I was out. Didn't care. It meant a lot to me to have made contact!!!
*mwah!*
So happy you had a good holiday and much safe driving.
Great pictures!
Here's to a Happy New Year!!!
You are a much braver woman than I am! I don't think I could handle driving on snow and ice-covered roads... I'd leave that to Shane.
I think the trees look so pretty with their branches covered in snow... great pics!
Post a Comment