Belated Merry Christmas! You may have wondered what happened to me over the past week or so. Well, around 10:00 P.M. Dec 21st I tried to check into our flights to Seattle for the next day but the website wouldn't allow me to. Instead, I received a message saying there was no such reservations. PANIC! Then, I noticed a little blurb explaining many flights had been delayed or canceled due to weather and to call for further information. It was impossible to get through as the lines were busy. At 11:30 P.M. I got through and learned our flight for the 22nd was canceled. On top of that, we wouldn't be able to fly until Christmas day if weather held out. The morning of the 22nd, Bird tried getting through to make alternate flight arrangements but only got busy signals or recorded messages. My dad called around 10:00 A.M. and suggested we drive. I couldn't imagine driving if flights had been canceled and roads were so bad. Bird's mom and sis told us it took them 5 1/2 hours instead of the usual 2 to get to Seattle to pick us up for the flight we wouldn't be on. We decided to call to my uncle who is a policeman in Seattle for some advice. Unbeknownst to Bird's family, we bought some chains and hit the road for what would now be a surprise Christmas trip.
Just before Grants Pass, Oregon we noticed snow had accumulated on the ground and it was once again snowing.
As we drove up the pass, traffic came to a complete stop for an hour or so. Yaya had fun sticking her hand out the window to catch the falling snow. This was her first experience with snow.
Finally, we reached the front of the line and learned we would have to turn around if we didn't have All wheel drive or chains. Thanks to the good advice from my uncle we had both and were waved on with caution. We drove a few hours further but stopped for the night in Garden Grove, Oregon due to fog NOT snow.
Yaya was thrilled she was out of her car seat and had a huge bed all to herself.
The smile says it all don't ya think?


More about our trip soon.
15 comments:
Oh my God! You need some pie for a cure, stat!
Such cute pictures of her in the hotel! Looks like she enjoyed it! It appears it was a rough trip with the inclement weather.
The flower you asked about is by K & Company. Take care!
Life is always an adventure...isn't it. But that's what gives us such great memories. Can't wait to hear more!
I am so glad you made it safely and that Yaya had her first snow. I bet your family was so happy to see you! Can't wait to hear more about your Christmas and the trip home!! Happy New Year! Here's to more fun blogging with you in 2009!
Wow!! I am sure glad that you guys are back safe and sound. I really missed your sweet comments and your wonderful posts.
The smile did say it all....I'm glad you have posted and that means you are safe!
I pray you have a blessed new year, my friend!
Oh. My. Goodness.
Yes, panic indeed! Can't wait to hear how the rest of your trip turned out!
COuld that child BE any cuter.
What a start to a Christmas trip...I will be anxiously anticipating the continuation :) Yaya looks so happy in that bed!!
I just love her smile in that last photo! So cute!
Yikes, I would have panicked, too! Glad you're home safe and sound... can't wait to hear more about your crazy travels!
I was wondering if you had made it up here. To drive is quite an accomplishment. One day it took me one hour to drive the five miles from Costco to my home. YUK!!
Looking forward to the continued saga.
Driving in snow is not my most favorite thing. Luckily, here in NC it doesn't get that deep!
Oh that sounds like a mess. I'm so glad all of our family lives just 20 min. away and we don't have to travel far. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your family.
Hugs,
What a doll! So glad you made it home...(you did make it didn't you?) Happy 2009!
She is just ADORABLE!
Happy New Year!
Post a Comment