A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"The Only Thing We have to Fear is Fear Itself!"

Last night, I found myself saddened when learning my candidate did not win the election. At the same time, I found myself crying tears of JOY and Pride!! Yes, Pride that we have gotten past a man/woman's color and can see the bigger picture of importance. I am so thankful to be alive to see this day come! More important yet, our nation once again united for a common cause, To make our voices heard. Now on to why I chose the above quote for my post's title.
Can you remember who said the famous words in the title of my post? Franklin D. Roosevelt. The affable, witty Roosevelt used his great personal charm to keep most people at a distance. In campaign speeches, he favored a buoyant, optimistic, gently paternal tone spiced with humor. But his first inaugural address took on an unusually solemn, religious quality. And for good reason—by 1933 the depression had reached its depth. Roosevelt’s first inaugural address outlined in broad terms how he hoped to govern and reminded Americans that the nation’s “common difficulties” concerned “only material things.” I found the above information on this site. These Roosevelt and Obama share many similarities in what they face(d) as presidents. History in some ways is repeating itself. Many of us are fearful of what is in store for us as individuals and as a nation. I for one felt fear long before last night's winner was announced. The fear was not about who would serve our country but How they would serve our country. Why am I connecting these two men & fear? Because once again my Bible study fit so perfectly into daily life. You'll never guess what this week's lesson was about...FEAR! I hope the following readings help you put any fear(s) you may have to rest.
The Readings: Psalm 56;3-4a: "When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid." Jeremiah 17:5-8: 5 "Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the LORD. 6 He will be like a bush in the wastelands; he will not see prosperity when it comes. He will dwell in the parched places of the desert, in a salt land where no one lives. 7 "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. 8 He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Deuteronomy 31:8 "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
The lesson's summary below:
"Real faith cannot coexist with fear. Real faith says, "God can! God will!" Fear says, "God can't." Real faith raises us above our circumstances. Fear focuses on circumstances & clouds our view of God. Real faith keeps us strong even when we are bombarded by agonizing thoughts. Fear weakens us in body, mind & spirit. Faith & fear are at odds with one another. As Christian women, we are fooling ourselves if we do not recognize the true nature of worry. In reality, worry (fear, anxiety) is sin. "Do not fear", God's words repeated so many times throughout the Bible, is not just a suggestion. IF we try to justify our worries & fears, we deceive ourselves & are settling for a faith that really isn't at all. It comes down to a choice. Is it easy? No. But, in some ways it is so simple. We choose to believe God & then we familiarize ourselves, intimately & comprehensively, with what he says. Then peace will reign. God says so. BELIEVE IT!"
I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this post & our Bible study! I find so much peace & comfort in my life & our country's future after reflecting on His word & this lesson. That said, does it matter who is President today or tomorrow? NO! What matters is that God is in control & he alone will bring us hope & a future. We just need to turn to him. If you need further reassurance look at all the amazing things Franklin D. Roosevelt did for our country during his time in Office. The similarities in what these men face(d) is uncanny. I pray Obaman can follow in such wonderful footsteps!

16 comments:

Dawn said...

I think your post is wonderful! And I too am proud to see the day that we have gotten past race and elected a person based on leadership. He wasn't my candidate of choice, but I am going to support him fully. Your bible verses are great and are exactly what I needed to hear with all that is going on with JP. I will print this post and read it often in the coming weeks.

Dawn said...

Wow!! Way to bring new insight to a situation. Good for you for following God's lead here.

Thank you. :)

Lauren W said...

Your timing is impeccable. Thank you so much for the wonderful reminder.
I feel so blessed that God has given me so many wonderful reminders through such lovely friends :)

Frizzy said...

ddfgfg

Renata said...

I must admit to being disappointed at the results of the election (yes- it was watched over here quite closely), however thanks for the reminder that it truely doesn't matter who the leaders are - it's God who is ultimately in control. This was an excellent post - thanks for sharing!

Jess said...

Uh yea, I cook everything she posts. Its one of my fave blogs.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I think that what we listen to can really influence our fears and anxiety. Placing faith in the words of Man who have an agenda no matter the side can be hurtful to us spiritually. We cannot be in control of what is happening no matter who had won. I agree if we say we follow God then we have to live by faith and let go spending our energies on what might be. Take care of our own households and do not waste one minute away from providing the best life we can for our families.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Amen, sistah.

cat said...

I think the US has a wonderful democratic system that allows these things to happen.

katylinvw said...

amen! thank you so much for sharing this! you are absolutely right, my bad attitude was really motivated by fear, and it was silly because i really do believe that God is in control, and if i truly believe that, i must also believe that he has a plan, and this is part of it :) thanks again

Debra Kaye said...

Frizzy,

This was such a beautiful post! Well done!! I was so disheartened to see that people voted the economy over life (in my view) but after it was said and done ~ it is my responsibility as a Christian to now pray for this man for his responsibility is great.

And I will do so. Blessings to you, sweet sister.

Speaking from the Heart said...

Thank you for the reminder and for visiting. Have a great weekend.

Debra Kaye said...

Just stopping in to say Happy Saturday! I'm thinking of you this morning! :)

Shannon said...

Great post. This is one of my favorite verses:

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Flamingo said...

I'm so glad you commented again on my blog. I don't know why your blog keeps disappearing from my google reader?!

It's in it again...so we will see if it stays!

Great post on fear. I'm doing so much better now...for some reason some days it just engulfs you;)

Jen - Queen of Poo said...

I'm here from SITS, and this is a timely post. It's reminded me of times God has used a couple of the passages you posted, and I need to be reminded of those times right now.