A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Husband Rocks and Friday Foto Finish Fiesta III

Like many men, my husband is hard to buy for. He always says he doesn't need or want anything which can be very frustrating. However, I know one thing that he needs and wants more than anything is to be with his family. With that in mind, I bought him and our daughter airline tickets to visit his family and his best friend for Father's Day. He talks to his mom, dad or sister every other day on the phone. He aches to live closer to them and misses the closeness they shared while living in Panama for 20 years. Our life in the military rarely afforded us such luxuries as to live near family. While transitioning out of the military and even now Bird dreams of living close to his family again. Some day that dream will come true but for now he enjoys the limited time they have together.

I've never met a family as close as his. They are so close at times I think they share the same body and brain. WE'RE TALKING CLOSE, TIGHT, ONE here people. They think the same, they breathe the same, they play the same and they love the same. Nothing is half way with them. When they are together they make the best of EVERY moment they have. They tease, they laugh, they support, they debate, they play and they love one another COMPLETELY and UNCONDITIONALLY! You will never hear them say a negative word to or about each other. They do not raise their voices, curse or show anger. Instead, their family uses hand signals or small noises of warning that you're getting out of line and that ends it. 1 finger in the air (Not the middle finger The pointer finger you dirty minded people ;) means I've heard it once. 2 fingers in the air means I've heard you twice and so on. If one of them makes a snyde comment that is out of line or rude they put their hand in the air as if they're holding a can of spray polish and say, "Sst Sst." This simply means clean up your act you need polish. While their methods of communication work well for their family they do not work for ours. The first time Scott held up his finger to me I threatened to break it and That was the end of that. So much for the sweet and gentle wife aye?! My family uses a different form of communication all together but that's a story for another day.
You can even see their closeness in the pictures I've included today. Notice how close they sit? Some of their arms are even joined together. This isn't an unusual scene with them, IT'S THEIR NORM.

You may be asking yourself what about this post proves that he Rocks... It's simple really, his relationship with his family is what made him the man he is now. He is a wonderful Father to our daughter and he is a loving and devoted husband to me. He learned what family is about through examples set by his parents. I am thankful to them for helping create the man I married and am in love with today.

Now head on over to Candid Carrie's Friday Foto Finish Fiesta and Katy Lyn's My Husband Rocks and see what all the buzz is about. They always have fun stories to share and so do their loyal readers.

22 comments:

~Trish~ said...

That is very cool!!!

katylinvw said...

how wonderful! although that kind of communication would never work in our family either, i am in awe of that level of respect! :)

Jess said...

awe, what a sweet post :D

Debra Kaye said...

This was so beautiful to read! My heart just swelled with joy for you! What a beautiful tribute to your husband!

Have a beautiful weekend!

Kathy C. said...

What a wonderful post. It's a beautiful and rare thing to see families that truly remain close and loving as they grow older. His parents certainly did something right. :)

Susie said...

The best measure of a man's character is how he treats his family. When I saw my husband open his door for his mother, I knew I had the right one:-) It's a good thing to teach our daughters:-) Look for a guys who is close to his family and he will be close to yours when you have one:-)

Lori said...

That is so special. Must be good to know that you caught yourself a true family man.

BBB said...

That's REALLY cool

I would totally have threatened the breaking finger too

Rela Pantaleon said...

Hi Nicole! Your man has a sweet family! The way they sit together and how you captured that moment are amazing!

My man and his family are very close, too. Us and his siblings relocated to Austin, TX together! MIL and FIL from the Philippines are visiting 6 months at a time.

That's why our husband rocks!

Dawn said...

That is so awesome! My husband has a family like that and it amazes me to be a part of it after dealing with my dysfunctional family all my life! Everyone should be so lucky!

Frizzy said...

This comment is from my mother-in-law about this post.

Oh, my goodness, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. That was so sweet. You're becoming quite the writer, too, knowing what details to include and how to do so! A lovely, lovely tribute!

Just checked last minute messages before we take off camping. This might be the last time this summer we take the little girls out....wish we had a third one here to take out, too...and s'mores are all packed. More later. And thanks. Bo

Breanne said...

How sweet!
When you go on my blog in the right corner - you can to follow my blog and then your picture will appear.

Shannon said...

Very sweet! You got yourself a good man ;)

And the part where you threatened to break his finger the 1st time he held it up... yeah, I would have totally been the same way! HA!

a.men said...

Family! Isn't it what life if all about?!

Rhonda said...

How very cool for them! And what an awesome gift you gave him.
Good for you for paying attention and for knowing what he would love above all else.

Nichole said...

That's so cool that your husband is so close with his family. I had to laugh when I read the part about you threatening to break his finger. Too funny! Lovin' the new blog design too!!

Briana said...

Wow, your husband and his family DOES rock! I love that photo of them sitting together! Thanks for visiting me from BATW!!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

I laughed outloud so hard I broke my husband's snorning pattern in his new man chair over on the other side of the room.

"I threatened to break off his finger" .... bwahahahahahaha! Bet he thought twice the next time he put that baby up in your face! *wink*

I laugh cuz I woulda said the same thing!

And your MIL is right --- I love your word pictures. AND your photopictures.

Bug said...

N~ I agree with Karin and your MIL. The way you write and incorporate your pictures is wonderful. Of course I am remembering some of these stories from our conversations over the years! hehehehe! I actually remember you telling me about the finger! :)

On a side note ~ I LOVE the background you chose! I was planning on changing mine to a fall theme soon! You know how much I love the fall theme as I had my wedding with the same theme! Love this time of year!

You are such the blogger! I love it! I wish I had more time to devote to it. I just don't though. Oh well! Ok...enough of the book here!

Bug said...

ok...I just have to say...I am sooooo bummed that you put this background on your blog before I did! I love this one and I can't find another one that I completely love for fall! ;) Fooy! Oh well;)

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Yeah, Kerry, I went and tried to find one too, but Cole's gotta school me on how to add it -- I don't have an 'add page element' button on my add and arrange elements page. What's up with that? What am I missing, Coley?

Jenn H said...

How awesome to come from such an amazing, loving family! He is really fortunate!