A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

On this 7th Anniversary of 9/11...

I Ask for Continued Prayers for our ALL of our country's Service Men and Women.
This post honors
those who perished on 9/11 and their loved ones still with us today,
those who died while proudly serving our country and
those who continue to serve our country in the days, mothns and years post 9/11.
My husband recently separated from the Air Force after 11 years of service to our country. This was not a change we were expecting at this point in his career or with current world events. However, our government decided they needed to cut personnel numbers by 40,000 people last year alone. It has been a long transition for us but we're doing well and are happy with our new life. That doesn't mean we no longer feel connected to our Air Force/Military past. If nothing else, we feel stronger about supporting our troops both at home and abroad now more than ever. My husband is proud to have served his country
and hates that he is not serving with his fellow officers even now.
Last year's cuts are even harder for our servicemen/women still serving. There are fewer people to do the jobs and those who remain must do double if not triple the work to keep up. This includes work at home and abroad. Many of our servicemen are deploying more often and for longer periods of time in order to fill the positions. Why am I telling you all this? Because we have at least 10 friends serving in Iraq or Afghanistan right now and they have been or will be there for 6 months or longer. Please continue to keep all of our servicemen/women and their families in your thoughts and prayers. Even better, pray for those we fight against. Pray that their opinions and hearts will be changed and they will come to know we are a peaceful country and mean them no harm. After all, when we have no enemies there will be no wars to fight.

I am including just one update from a friend of ours who has just been deployed yet AGAIN!!! I know you'll understand that I deleted many of the details of where Ryan is and what his mission is. I did this to protect him and our other servicemen/women. It's scary what information might be used against us if placed in the wrong hands. Even with my editing, you get a good idea of what they are going through.

Hello Friends and Family- Here's a quick update of what's been happening while Ryan's deployed to the Middle East.
Ryan says: "I'm in Operations for my team who will be working with the Afghan National Army. We are starting from the ground up...literally. Our commander and team have only been here for a short while and are asking us what we need to do the mission. We are submitting our requirements, but are met with multiple challenges. Never the less we are pressing on, working every angle that we can acquire what is required. Our living conditions are pretty sad. We walked through a room today and the floor caved under one of my Airman's feet, he broke right through the wood floor. We have rat traps set and the dust covers everything keeping us all sneezing and wheezing. Bright side is the food is probably the best in the area.
Ryan also mentioned that he's been outside of the gate a couple of times and that he feels relatively comfortable because it is familiar territory to him since he's been there on previous deployments. They have a PX over there, but it is not well stocked and the variety is pretty poor. I'm sure he and/or any servicemen/women you know would love to hear from you all in a card, letter, or email if you're not sure what to send in a package. If you would like to send a box (with things like dried goods, snacks, movies, magazines, etc.) he/they would be thrilled. Thanks for all your continued prayers and support. We could not make it through this deployment without you all!
As far as the boys and I are concerned, we are doing pretty well. We are 99.99% settled into our new house (guest house at the his parent's ranch) and I only have the book boxes to unpack. I hung the last picture today and boy did that feel good! Our house finally feels like a home now! The boys have loved being right across the way from Grandma and Grandpa. I'm happy and excited about the new place, and can't wait for you all to come and visit us! Well, that's enough for now! Hope you all are doing well and hope to hear from you soon! Love to All, Erin
To all of our friends stationed at home or in harm's way. You are in our constant prayers. We support you 110% and look forward to your safe return. While you are away you can be sure that we will take care of your husbands, wives and children... We know it is because of them that you serve our country at all cost.
To the family and friends of those who perished on 9/11.
WE WILL NEVER FORGET THEM OR YOU! God's blessings and peace be with you today and always.
Love, Major Bird, Frizzy and YaYa

16 comments:

Bug said...

Thank you! I wish I could have written more like you! I had planned on doing my post like this for the past week or 2 and then life threw me a curve ball and I just could not wrap my thoughts around my post like you have. Thus why mine is so short! Thank you for posting the way that you do!

Love ya!

Stephanie said...

thank you for stopping by my blog today!

FarmGirl said...

My brother was a CB in the Navy at the time of 9/11. He was deployed a few days after this tragedy...serving 2 tours in Afghanistan, and 3 in Iraq. He is home now, but got out of the Navy in July. He too feels torn about not being with his fellow officers, but is so happy to finally be able to enjoy their 3 small children. He was not there for the birth of his first 2 kids. Thank you for this post...and for the sacrifice your family has made for your husband to help protect us all. God bless!

Anonymous said...

Nichole,
You couldn't have said it better. May we NEVER forget what our military and thier families are doing every day so that we may have the freedoms that we do. When you mentioned things that they need when deployed, it clicked with a thought I have been tumbling around in my mind the past couple months...I wanted to start a Christmas tradition of giving to those in need, instead of giving more to those who really don't need anything. Maybe we as a family could send packages to the men and women who are away from home and living day to day with little or nothing. Sending things can't make up for the comforts of home and family that they are missing, but it may make the time they serve a little more bearable. Hmmmmmmm...I'll have to ponder this. I want Sam to learn Christmas is for giving...not receiving. Thanks for your special post.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

You are a good woman.
And your man a good man.

{{{hugs}}}

Susie said...

Thank you for posting about our military men and women. My husband served in the Air Force and his service inspires me to say Thank You to each and every uniform I see.

These proud Americans are the reason that we are afforded the rights and freedom that we all enjoy. Today more than ever, they need our support. 9/11 was the end of a lot of lives and the beginning of a new life for a lot of our soliders. Thank you all for your sacrafice.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by...What a beautiful post-I will be back!

Cheryl Lage said...

What a lovely, lovely post. That last paragraph brought tears to my eyes.

We will never forget. God bless America.

Karen said...

Thank you for dropping by my blog. I share your feelings as you well know. Tell Major Bird, thank you from my heart. We are so blessed in this country to have men and woman so willing and so selfless to serve and protect.

Rela Pantaleon said...

The American soldiers have sacrificed a lot. Although what is being fought for is worthy, I hope they all come home soon.

Nichole said...

I have great admiration for your husband, and all the men and women who have chosen to serve our country. I thank God that these brave people exist; those who will take on such responsiblity, knowing that I could never do so.

Anonymous said...

wonderful to remember with you...
Thank you...

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Loved your post! I don't think I could ever write like that, you did a dam good job on it. Thanks for stopping by today. Much Love!

Shannon said...

This is a great post, Nichole. Very touching and heartfelt!

chellekay said...

I was in bootcamp the it happen. my huband (not my husband at that time) was out to sea that day and was suppose to be pulling in that day,they did not come home for two weeks! After boot camp I went to a ship (the onw where I meet my husband) and went on a seven month deplymnet. We were not suppose to go on deployment yet but becasue of 9/11 it was moved up by several months and then we were suppose to be gone for 6 and ended up being 7! I have been deployed twice. I got out of the Navy early too because they were cutting my job. My husband is now on his third deploymet. My brother just got back from his second deployment, his first one was 6 months this last one was 15 months.

Jenn H said...

What a beautiful well written post! Thank you for taking the time to write it and I wish more people would stop and think about our men and women serving our country and what they sacrifice instead of the many heartless things that are said everyday that break my heart and I so wish I could shelter my kids from. I am so glad that you are so supportive and that you are not bitter by the personel cut that left Bird without his military career and all kinds of huge changes in your lives. You are truly a gem!