A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

One of my many mortifying moments

Ok, so today's blog was inspired by one of An American in Norway's posts. I can't tell you how hard I laughed and cried after reading her story and others who joined in her fun as well. Let's be honest, who doesn't need a good laugh now and then? Evidently, I needed several today as I haven't laughed like this in months. I hope you will get the same reaction from mine. A little background info. Do you know what cherry nibs are? Well, ever since I can remember my mom called them, "Boob food" because it IE. licorice could make your boobs grow. If this statement were true a lot of plastic surgeons would be out of work. Now that we're all on the same page I can tell you what they have to do with my mortifying story. I'm driving with a guy I was dating and we were eating cherry nib licorice on our way to meet his older sister and her friends. We were all going camping and canoeing down the Niangua river. As I'm riding along in his car I think to myself, Bill knows my mom and her sense of humor. He'd probably get a kick out of knowing what she says about this candy. Why, I thought this I'll never know. Why I proceeded to tell him is beyond me. Fast forward to the next afternoon. It's a typical hot and muggy day in good old Missouri. I was thin, wearing a hot pink bikini and floating down the river with this nice and handsome boy. FYI, we were innocent and nothing had gone on between us other than kissing. Keep this in mind as the story progresses. The group decides they're hot and it's time to stop, cool off in the water and have a snack. We hopped out of our canoe and pulled it onto shore. Next, I walked into the water til it was just above my knees and bent over to splash cool water on my shoulders. All of a sudden, I feel and hear a Snap and POP!!! My bikini top's plastic S hook busted in half and my boobs came flying out for all to see. Insert my scream...here! I stood there with my hands over my chest, deer in the headlights look on my face and noticed what seemed like a 20 strangers spin around and look at me. (In reality there was probably only 8 strangers staring in horror.) Pin drop, fish jump, snake slither? Nothin. Just shocked stares and silence. Come on give a girl a break! I looked to Bill and his sister with complete embarrassment in my eyes and pleaded, "Could you help me please?" Thankfully, Bill came to my rescue and helped tie my straps together in back. He also made a comment under his breath that went something like this, "I think the licorice is doing it's job." Now, picture a big smirking smile on his face. I laugh at myself even today for this mortifying moment. Bill and I are still friends and he's been kind enough not to throw it in my face. I wonder what his story would sound like if given the chance to tell it. HA! Fat chance. I have a photo of myself from the end of that day but it's in my grandparent's basement in MT. Too bad, I wish I could have included it with this post.

13 comments:

~Trish~ said...

I love nibs!! How funny! During my son's baseball season before every game I get nibs and seeds. *looks down* hmmm maybe it is true :)

T said...

OMG....tears literally pouring from laughter!! That is great, well not for you but for me to laugh at!

Nichole said...

That was too funny! I think I woke my husband up with my laughter! My friends and I (around 8th grade)were certain that Nibs would make our boobs bigger so we ate them a lot. This may have lead to the reason why I was never skinny enough to wear a bikini ;o)
Have a great weekend!

T said...

I can honestly say that Bug really learned to do the bike on his own! He does everything that way...all in his own time and with little help! He potty trained in one day, no exaggeration! When he decides he's going to do something, he does it! Right then! Pronto!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Who was Bill? I'm trying to figure that out.

Oh - and I LOVE your Foto Finish and Bird Rocks! What a great idea to combine them! I'll have to think of some of those...

Shannon said...

HA... great story! And great that you're still friends today :)

If that had happened to me... I would have dove in the water so fast to try and "cover up"! LOL

Renata said...

LOL - He was very quick! It's nice to have a laugh - thanks!

Jenn H said...

That was hilarious, thanks for the great laugh!!! Want to hear something quite funny, I am actually sitting here eating black Nibs, how weird is that????

Prudence Arcadia said...

Ooooh you poor dear! Sorry but that is just HIL-FREAKIN-LARIOUS!

I had to stifle my laughter this early morn, as to not wake Momo and D!

I had never heard of Nibs (or even what nibs are) making the girls grow, I always heard it was carrots and "I must, I must, I must increase my bust" exercises. *snerks*

Just Lisa said...

This is so funny! I love licorice-- I wonder if that's why my boobs are so big???

Dawn said...

LOL!! How embarrassing!!

{leah} said...

That's really funny!! At least he had a sense of humor about it. Now we can all giggle when we eat nibs

Frizzy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.