A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Life can sure be frustrating.

You know the days where you just feel ...Off. Not happy, not sad, not angry, not content. Just...Off. We met with our Real Estate agent and a contractor to discuss how much a new kitchen might cost with the changes I wanted to make on this house we are considering buying. It's bank owned and has a huge back yard and huge pool. It has great light and a very open floor plan. Problems include, way outdated kitchen (not sure how they made the kitchen look this good in the pics but believe me it ain't that pretty), small bedrooms and weird set up in the master bath. I would be interested to see what It's Lovely I'll take It has to say about the kitchen and master bath situations. She always has a funny/interesting take on property listings. Unfortunately, they didn't provide said pictures to poke fun at. Anyway, I got the estimate and I've felt "off" ever since. I called my girlfriend in Vegas and in passing she gave me updates on the housing market/economy. Not good and getting much worse. I have to admit, this scares me. Thankfully, we have renters. They're taking care of our home, paying on time and at this time plan to extend their lease another year. What more can I ask for really?! My husband called to follow up on what I told him re. the house this morning. Turns out the house already has several offers on it and they're all placed over the asking price. This means the house is out for us. I'm sad but not heartbroken over it. In all reality it might have been too much work with a 2 year old for us to tackle. Frustrating none the less. We've looked at so many homes and they're all too small, too outdated, too costly to update for the prices they're asking to begin with. I learned once again we may be "punished" for other's ... dishonesty, bad luck, circumstances. I spoke to a mortgage expert about our situation. I wanted to find which loan we've been pre-approved for would be best for us. He started by saying, "You and your husband have an excellent credit rating and investment portfolio." However, he followed that statement with a "warning" so to speak. Hundreds of people have been buying second homes only to let their first homes go back to the bank in bankruptcy. Because of this, lenders are now hesitant to issue a second home loan due to the high risk other's have imposed. We have been pre-approved for an VA Loan and a Conventional Loan yet we may not be able to buy the second home we want because of other's "misfortunes" and may be considered "too risky." At the same time, we're being told by our current lenders that they won't help us by extending our current arm for another year or two to help us avoid any financial issues of our own. Would you like to know why? We aren't in trouble. On the contrary. We're trying to be pro-active so that we don't get in trouble financially. But, because we are current on all of our payments and not a "Risk" they aren't willing to help us. How the heck do you win with these people? You try to be proactive instead of reactive and you get told no. You pay all of your bills on time have excellent credit and still get told "You're a risk" due to other's investment and financial failures. NICE!!! Well, I had hoped putting my thoughts on paper so to speak would help bring some insight to my "Off" mood. Again, I am not happy, not sad, not angry, not content. I know in the grand scheme of things our life is good and we are blessed beyond measure. I think I'm feeling the way I do because I don't want to complain but am frustrated. I am thankful for what I have. Thanks for stopping by and reading. I will try to have a fun and/or insightful post for tomorrow.

11 comments:

Renata said...

I enjoy reading other peoples thoughts - even when they're feeling off - makes me feel normal.
I know banks & lending can be frustrating things. It's difficult when you decide to pursue a house- only to have it taken away - Trust that God has a reason for it!
We have an outdated house (yes the whole house), & it sure it hard trying to renovate with toddlers! We are replacing the gyprok ceiling (slowly) & we've been doing it when the kids are in bed (not the best time for the noise, but at least there are no little 'helpers'!)

Jenn H said...

That is ridiculous about the not approving you for a 2nd home loan! And then they won't talk to you about your 1st home loan because you have been to good of customers, wow, now that is some irony! Hope it works out for you guys! And don't worry about not having an upbeat post, we all have off days!

Jess said...

Its so weird how things work out for honest people. Have faith and I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that everything will work out for you. :)

~Trish~ said...

I hate anything to do with finances because nothing ever seems fair to the common person like you and I. ugh, hang in there!!

Gramma 2 Many said...

We have considered buying a second home a couple of times. Find the same thing as you. Can be discouraging.
Thanks for coming to visit me on Monday. It is fun getting to know everyone. I do remember you commenting on my blog one time. Thanks. Please feel free to come again. Who knows, maybe we have sat beside one another on a ferry. I use them once in a while when I visit my daughter in Bremerton.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Sister, blogging isn't all about upbeat posts. It's about being honest and open and getting it off your chest and finding out that all that's OK and it's still cheaper than therapy. John Tesh said it Sunday morning:

write two blogs and call me in the morning.

And my words to you:
Sit tight. It's better to be safe than to be among the sorry. I know you don't love your rental or love renting. But it's better than making a financial mistake when you don't think you are.

Anonymous said...

ok gurl you're a bit down or frustrated and that's totally ok...life isn't always up.
wish I could be a help though...

Bug said...

Nic, I second everyone here! It will happen when it is meant to happen! Remember all the good advise that you have given me over the years!

So is the house that you are in right now up for sale? I got lost for a moment! If it is...does that mean tnat you might have to move again?

Trust that God knows what he is doing and has his plan for you! I know that I am struggling with that myself right now!

And I completely agree with Karin...blogs are basically journals to get out all your thoughts. Not everything is cheery and up beat....just look at mine!

Debbie said...

When one door shuts...another is definitely going to open. There is a reason...there is a plan...it has yet to be revealed to you. And too feel off lately....so this was en pointe for me....

Click on my profile and send me a quick email. I want to spotlight California next week and you are on the list!

lifelaughterchaos said...

i feel badly for folks stuck where you are...houses are a huge deal!

it makes me thankful to be staying put!

Prudence Arcadia said...

When life takes a downswing, it can only go one way.....and hey I agree, blogging is about your feelings at the time, pleasant AND otherwise. We bloggers are here for you!

Boy, I do know what you are going thru! But the market cannot stay bad forever, and at least you are in a position where you can sit tight. Remember only a few months ago you had renter nor home! It *is* all getting better, and will continue to do so.

According to my T'sung shu, until Sept 8 for you (the Ox) are to be conservative with your investments and instead focus on your own health and wellbeing.

Actually things will start look up for you in November. Bid your time and chill! It will all happen, in good time and for a reason.