These little hands are growing and their reach toward my own occurs less often and feels as though it's getting farther away by the second. For years it's been my job to hold their hands and protect them from harm. These days they want my help and protection less and less. They want to wander farther from my arms and the safety of our home to explore more independently.
I realize this is a natural part of growing up.
I realize this is what they should begin doing in order to one day be ready to set out on their own.
I realize my love and encouragement has begun falling on deaf ears.
What's hardest for me is this:
They don't realize how much they still need me/us.
They don't realize the things I/we say and tell them aren't just words.
They don't realize the "blah blah blah" coming from my mouth has a purpose.
They don't realize the amount of time, energy, pain the words coming from my mouth could save them if they would just slow down and listen.
I realize I cannot and shouldn't protect them from everything.
I realize pain and heartache are often what help a person grow and learn.
I realize sometimes the only way I can really help them is to let them fall and feel the pain.
I realize letting go and letting God is what's most important.
The thing is something so simple shouldn't be so stinking hard!
The thing is something so simple shouldn't be so stinking hard!
1 comment:
What every momma struggles with...
so beautifully said.
Post a Comment