A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Monday, May 6, 2013

The 1 Year Anniversary of Lily's Gotcha Day

My Dearest Lily,
A year ago we brought you home to be ours forever.  We began introducing you to your new life and family.  I know it was a time of uncertainty for you.  New faces and places everywhere you looked.  It breaks my heart to think back on how scared you must have been.  Yet you didn't cry very much and when you did you were easily soothed by rocking, bouncing in my arms or playing in water. 
 
I'll never forget how you watched everyone and everything with those big brown eyes of yours.   Everyone has commented on your eyes and how smart you look.  You're an old soul for sure.  I can't count how many times I've felt like you understood everything I was saying or looked into my soul as if you've known me forever. Is that possible?
 
In addition to being smart, you're also very funny.  You love to giggle and laugh.  You have a wonderful belly laugh that I could listen to for eternity, especially when it's combined with Yaya's laughter.  Nothing warms my heart more than seeing you two together.  You copy everything she does and she eats it up.  You laugh and look so proud of yourself for doing "big girl things" or new tricks.  There are times I think there is nothing Yaya wouldn't do for you and I've witnessed it on more than one occasion.  She lets you pull her around by her ponytail like a dog, both of you giggling all the way.  If it were me I think I'd be crying you pull her hair so hard.   Yaya never complains.  She just plays along until you're ready to play a new game.  Another thing I love about you two is how hard you hug one another after even a short time apart.   You two were meant to be sisters.  There is no doubt in my mind. 
 
Lily, you make me smile and laugh every day.  EVEN WHEN I REALLY FEEL LIKE PULLING MY HAIR OUT.  You get that "know it all" look in your eyes and you give me that half grin of yours and I melt.  I love you.  I mean I love EVERY SINGLE THING ABOUT YOU.  I love that you need me and want me to be with you all the time. Truth be told, I need you just as much as you need me little one.  I'm so happy you are here.  I'm so happy you're ours. 
 
I love that you are beginning to understand by calling "Momma" I'll come in an instant. 
I love how excited you get to see me and it shows in how you tighten your entire body as if you're jumping with joy. 
I love how you say, "Up?" so I'll pick you up or how you back into my lap to sit down and have me read to you. 
I love how you say, "Awwww" when you know you're giving or receiving love to someone or something like your teddy bear.  
I love how hard you squeeze my face or neck when you hug me. 
I love your kisses. ALL OF THEM!  The fishy kisses, the open mouth sloppy kisses, the messy food kisses, the sleepy kisses and yes, the butterfly kisses too. 
I love it when you bring your plastic fish and ask me to "Tickle" you with his tail.  Funny girl! 
I love how you adore animals, flowers, bugs, you name it.  The best part is how you Oooh and Ahhh over them so I'll see and enjoy them too.  You are a lot like your great grandmother Edith that way.
 
I've enjoyed every second of our time getting to know each other.  I am so lucky and blessed I get to be your mom!  Have I mentioned how much I love you?
 
Happy 1st Gotcha Day Anniversary Lily Bird!

5 comments:

cat said...

SO very very precious! Happy day to you all. Gosh and the girls are simply beautiful. Missing you my friend.

Rebecca Jo said...

I cant believe its been a year!
Congrats! Your family is just precious!

Lesley said...

I love this post. Thanks for sharing your heart, Nichole.

Gramma 2 Many said...

A whole year of wonder and love. How blessed you are.
Love you Lily, love your mommy and daddy and big sister Yaya too.

The Lovely One said...

<3 love! Happy Gotcha Day!