A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What prayers can do!


It finally happened.  After almost 4 years of prayers and waiting we received the call on Friday morning, April 20th only 2 days before my birthday.  I was on my way out of town for a 3 day women's retreat with our church.  I quickly shared the details of her story with Bird and off I went.  Over the weekend I spent a lot of time in prayer over this little girl and our family.  Friday night I begged God to make her healthy and take away any of her ailments.  By Sunday, my heart had been changed and I was begging God to change me and make me into the mom she needed me to be.  Over and over again I prayed, "God make your will my will.  Make your will my will."  I desperately loved her already without ever meeting her and I wanted nothing more than to be her mother.  My fear was Bird might not feel the same and I had no way to talk to Bird because my cell phone didn't have any coverage there. It seemed as if each lesson that weekend was aimed at us and I wanted Bird to hear and learn what I was learning.  God wanted us apart so we could both listen to Him alone. 
  
When I returned home Sunday afternoon my family had a birthday dinner planned once again making it impossible to discuss with Bird.  Tuesday morning, after several conversations I begged Bird to tell me where he stood.  He was 90% yes and 10% undecided.  As he walked out the door that morning to take Yaya to school I began crying and begged God to give him the clarity he needed to move forward.  When I opened my eyes I saw a blackbird through our kitchen window.  I'm telling you that bird was walking down the sidewalk across the street as if he was a person and as if it was the most normal thing in the world.  If you have followed our blog from the beginning you'll know the significance of what blackbirds mean in our family.  I began SCREAMING at the top of my lungs for Bird to come back inside.  As he came back in the door I said, "If that blackbird walking down the sidewalk across the street doesn't tip the scale and give you the peace and answers you need I don't know what will."  His response was simple.  "I don't see one black bird.  I see two."  I turned to look out the window again and began to cry tears of such joy.  Finally I heard the words I had been waiting to hear.  He said, "I'm 100% sure she's the baby God has intended for our family.  
  
Bird and I met Lily the next Sunday, April 29th for the first time and we began the process of transitioning her into our home.  Yaya wasn't able to meet her until Wednesday, May 2nd and in the days prior to meeting Lily she was an emotional wreck.  She cried at the drop of a hat and just couldn't keep it together.  I asked her several times what was wrong but she told me she didn't know.  Wednesday night however, after meeting Lily Yaya broke down and told me the truth.  She said she had been terrified her new baby sister wouldn't like her.  In reality, all it took was one look into each other's eyes and they both fell head over heals for the other.  I have no doubt they were meant to be sisters.  Yaya has been so good to Lily and tonight she told us Lily was exactly what she prayed her sister would be like.  She loves to feed and hold her.  Lily loves watching Yaya dance and sing.  This morning while Yaya was at school I even caught Lily looking at Yaya's school poster board.  She was laying in her play yard flirting with the picture of Yaya. We're talking non-stop cooing and giggles from this 4 month old sweetie pie.  She adores Yaya!

God has been so good to us!  Thank you all for praying us through this process.  Thank you for helping us keep faith and encouraging us to hold on to hope in the darkest times of our journey.  Your love and prayers lifted our spirits on more than one occasion. 
This precious baby girl is the result of thousands upon thousands of prayers.

I am the proudest and happiest mommy in the world!
"Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name;
make known his deeds among the peoples!
Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell all of his wondrous works!"
Psalm 105: 1-2

14 comments:

cat said...

Oh now I am crying. Big happy tears for you all. Congratulations! May God bless you all as a family. And I just adore that last photo.

gramma2many said...

Nothing new to say. Just how much I love you guys and how happy I am for you:) See, nothing you did not already know!
Love the pictures, they are precious.
Now off to bed for me.

Rebecca Jo said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm just in tears... of happiness & Joy! Celebrating & rejoicing with your family!

This little girl... yep... God intended her to be your daughter... & Yaya's sister.

God is so good!
Bless you for opening your heart for this precious little one.

Shannon said...

So, so, so very happy for you guys!

Nichole said...

I am so happy for you all!

Sissy said...

Love those pics and am glad to hear more about the story!

The Lovely One said...

Yikes! What a beautiful story! I am so happy for you! What an awesome birthday present! xoxo

Nancy said...

I am speechless! What a wonderful post and I could not be any happier for you and your family. Sisters! They belong together!
Thank you for the priviledge to pray for you!

Bettina said...

So, so, so, so praising the Lord alongside you and celebrating answered prayers with you as well. This is most awesome and I am so thrilled to know that I prayed with and for you throughout this wonderful adventure! Love you!!!

Renata said...

My dear friend ((HUGS)) Congratulations to you all!! I am crying here ~ tears of happiness for answered prayers for you all.
Enjoy this precious time & enjoy your newest daughter!
God bless
Renata:)

Kevin Forrester said...

Well, WOW, what a great birthday surprise and what a wonderful Mother's Day gift. I love to read your posts and how you've been influnced by God and nature's little creatures. It's amazing how we all have a little help maneuvering through life's ups and downs. You and Scott have been so blessed and you are the most deserving parents I know. Enjoy your new addition to the family!!

allison hoffman hastings said...

I am thrilled for you all and can't wait to hold my niece. Blackbirds are sure a sign for you all.

Susanne said...

How in the crap did I miss this!!!!!! BLA!

There are no words. I am jumping up and down. Prayers answered!!! What a beautiful perfect little baby she is. I can hardly wait to hear more about her. And Lily.. one of my favorite girl names ever.

Congratulations!!! You have been in my heart and prayers for a very long time. Now we get to rejoice!!

tammy said...

Oh my!! I came in here to check how things were going and saw this wonderful news! Congratulations to you and your family. :) What a wonderful story!