A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Wear and Tear

According to Wikipedia.org the definition of Wear and tear is damage that naturally and inevitably occurs as a result of normal wear or aging. 

Well let me tell you, this sweet child of mine should have her name and photo included next to that definition.  She is the inevitable cause of a shoe's "natural or unnatural" wear and tear and ultimate demise.  In fact, I don't think she's owned a pair of shoes she hasn't worn right off her feet. 

 FYI, She wanted to lay her shoes out like this to pose with them.
She thought they looked pretty side by side all spread out instead of the way I placed them.

Three pairs of these shoes were purchase before school began.  It's only been 8 weeks and she's already worn off the tops, sides and in some instances she's even worn the insoles out of them.  We've polished, painted, glued and even cut pieces off of them in order to preserve their appearance a little while longer.  I hate to admit defeat but I think we're fighting a losing battle here.  It appears she walks on the tops and sides of her feet more than the soles of them doesn't it?  We've bought expensive shoes and cheap ones alike but the outcome remains the same.  Each pair inevitably ends up looking like she's placed them in a paper shredder.  Do your children wear their shoes out as quickly as or as completely as Yaya?  We've purchased 2 complete sets of these children's princess shoes from Costco (12 pair in all) and this is the last pair standing.  I can't tell you how many bottles of super glue I've gone through piecing each pair back together before giving up and relieving them of their regal duties.  Once this pair breaks, we'll give them a final and proper burial.  I look at them and I see the end of an era for my "little" smoochie.  
Just thinking of it gets me right THERE. You know?! Ugh!

12 comments:

Nichole said...

Signs of an active and busy child :o)

I hope the last pair of princess shoes stick around for awhile.

Susanne said...

We have the same shoe problem. Invest in rain boots. Plastic keeps. lol

The Lovely One said...

I have the same problem with Bug's shoes.... they get scuffed after the first day! And, like the previous commenter said, her rain boots have held up the best, and they're very fashionable to wear right now!

cat said...

I just think she is a normal active child - like we want them to be.

And I vote for the rainboots - worked for us through winter too

Frizzy said...

Thanks for the rainboot suggestion girls. She has a pair of Hello Kitty rainboots and you would think after the rain we've had the last few days she would love wearing them. However, I can't even get her to put her foot in them. Makes my mommy heart sad because she used to have so much fun splashing in the puddles in them.

Bettina said...

Oh my, then I vote for barefooted...but I guess that would be frowned upon for school.

Steel toed boots then? LOL

Anonymous said...

Any chance of wearing Nike's or Sketchers... some are pretty cute!

Terri said...

Hey! Thanks for checking in on me. Iam doing great. Just stopped blogging. I don't know why..I keep saying I will start back, but just don't. How have you been? I can't believe how big your daughter has gotten. Find me on FB if you have an account.

Frizzy said...

Betty,
Do they make steel toed shoes for kids? Hmmm I think we may be on to something here. Although, boy oh boy would they hurt my feet. When she steps on them.

Dear Anonymous,
Yaya has a pair of tennis shoes but she doesn't like to wear them. They're not pretty or girly enough. She's all about girly things even if they're shredded into a million pieces and completely worn out. She still thinks they're pretty.

Good suggestion though. LOL

Gina said...

I have kids who can walk right through their shoes in 2 months, others who can keep a pair for more than a year, and one who freaks out and wails for new shoes when the laces start to fray.
All kinds of walkers at this house.
And, no, it doesn't seem to matter the price- so while their feet are still growing, we opt for the $15- $25 Target shoes. ThankYouVeryMuch.

Privet and Holly said...

Ah, but you are
lucky you got the
photo bug while
she was young, to
capture all the
bittersweet loveliness
of it all. I'd give
anything to have
photos of my own
girl's wee shoes. I
have kept a pair or
two....and her red
rubber boots....so
sweet and precious!
xx Suzanne

Renata said...

She certainly must be a busy little bee to wear her shoes like that! Love the pictures & yes, when my children were at school Zai wore a really good pair of sneakers through in one term ( 10 weeks) ~ he had a hole in the bottom ~ he doesn't have that problem anymore though ~ it's bare feet in the classroom here at Sunnyside :)
Have a wonderful weekend dear friend
Renata:)