A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Friday, August 19, 2011

A Little "Side Trip"

While I was vacationing in MT I took a little side trip overnight with my grandparents and cousin, Debbie to Medora, North Dakota. If you haven't heard of it that's OK. However, you should know it's a town with some amazing history and it's surrounded by Teddy Roosevelt National Park. According to Teddy himself, this part of the country is what made him decide to run for president.  That's pretty amazing don't you think? 
  
Anyway, my grandparents try to go to Medora once or twice a year to see the annual show which is in a huge open stage theater located in Teddy Roosevelt National Park. The town of Medora itself looks like what you might picture of "The Old West."  When you walk down the streets with the wooden sidewalks and old fashioned store fronts you feel as though you've just stepped back in time.  Don't worry, Medora has great shops, restaurants, hotels and fun activities for every age and interest.  What I really love about this town is how friendly it is.  Both the people and the buildings beckon you to come on in, sit a spell and relax.  The staff around town come from all over the world not just North Dakota as you might expect.  As we talked to the people working we could see the pride they have for what they do.  They are just as enamored with Medora as it's guests are.  The staff like many guests come back year after year to work and play. 
Take the post office for example.  One of the employees has made it her added duty to care for the garden out front.  It was warm and welcoming with special little touches in each corner.
Could these birdhouses hanging in front be any cuter?

I'm telling you, it's the little touches all over Medora that remind you why this country is so great.  As I wandered through town, I was reminded of how blessed I am to be American.  More importantly, I was reminded of the hard work and sacrifices it took to make this country what it is today.  

We drove out to one of the scenic stops just before sunset and these are a few shots of the North Dakota badlands.  You should know, they aren't normally this green in July.  This year they've received unusually high levels of rain and humidity.  I enjoyed seeing the contrasting colors of the soil against the vibrant green hilltops and valleys. This shot might give you an idea of the abundance of color found throughout this area of the U.S.

This "lookout" is also well known for the abundance of wildlife which can be seen and that evening was no acception.  I had to zoom pretty close with my lens so please pardon the graininess of the shot.  We couldn't figure out why this buffalo was so angry.  We could see her stomping and kicking up dust all around but we couldn't see why.  As I was transferring my photos onto the computer I noticed a face in the trees.  In the shot below our questions were answered and you can see a deer emerging from the thicket. Pretty cool aye?  Though after seeing what a buffalo can do to a car I wouldn't put my money on the deer coming out ahead of this little challenge.

Here are my "side trip" buddies. 

We had such a nice time sitting together under the stars, watching the show and listening to the music.   I guarantee you won't see another show like this one.  What makes it so different is how the sunsets across the badlands surrounding the stage. The hills appear to go on forever and the view is constantly changing and absolutely spectacular.  If that weren't enough to get'cha right "THERE" then add my grandfather's amazing voice as he sings along with the show.  You should know he has one of those voices that makes you just feel all cozy, warm and fuzzy inside.  Do you know what I mean?  I could listen to him sing forever, especially if he's singing something spiritual or patriotic. 
LOOK OUT! 

(If you would like to know more about these spots click on the highlighted pink words above and it'll take you to the official links.)

1 comment:

Nichole said...

I can see why your grandparents try to make it there a couple times a year. What a neat place! The birdhouses are so cute!