A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Memories, Some Old and Some New

The last week or so have been crazy busy around here. 

As I mentioned before November 27th was Bird's birthday.  In addition to celebrating him and his special day we revived an old family tradition of baking gingerbread cookies AKA Funny Faces at my mom's. My great grandma, Alice used to make them for us.  She called them "Funny Faces" because each one was hand cut with a knife not a cookie cutter.  As she aged into her late 80's you never knew how each one would look because of how she placed the raisins for their eyes, nose and mouths.

  
Sunday, I spent much of the day preparing meals in advance for our guests.  I didn't want to miss out on anything while our dear friends, Ed and Jessica were visiting.   If you've read my blog for long you may recall we met them while we lived in Italy. We were also blessed to live near them again at our following duty station in Las Vegas.  Together we struggled to have children.  We laughed and cried together during all the fertility testing and then again when we brought Yaya and Sam home within a few months of each other. 
They arrived late Tuesday evening and it was hard to believe we hadn't seen them for 3 years.  In the time we've been apart Sam and Yaya have grown like weeds.  In addition, Ed and Jessica welcomed home twin girls last March.  It was so much fun catching up and watching Sam and Yaya play together as we'd once dreamt about.  
 Sam loved dressing up almost as much as Yaya.  ALMOST!  I love how his t-shirt says, "Demolition Dude" while he sports pink heels and a princess skirt.  Would you believe he's a year and one week younger than Yaya?  He's already taller than her by at least an inch or two.
Have I ever told you how much I LOVE BABIES?  You better believe I soaked up their twins like a sponge.  There is nothing better than the sounds of tiny cooing or giggles from a baby.
I couldn't hold, kiss or snuggle them enough!
We also took them to a few of our favorite spots like the park near our house, a trampoline place we love and
to Calaveras Big Tree State Park.  The picture below was taken of them on top of the "Big Stump."  It was frozen over and icy which is why poor Sam is in tears.  He fell while trying to walk back down the steps and wanted to get off it ASAP. 

I made what I thought was a safe suggestion to Jessica to slide down the snow on the side of the tree stump rather than attempt to manoeuvre the slippery steps with Emmeline.  While attempting to sit down her left leg sunk all the way up to her knee in the snow trapping her right leg under her.  She couldn't get up without assistance from Ed and Molly.  Being the wonderful friend I am. (HA!) All I could do was laugh hysterically while trying to snap pictures of this memorable moment.  Karma was not my friend that day as I laughed so hard I wet my pants.  You think I'm kidding but I'm not. VERY EMBARRASSING! In my defense, I tried to use the restrooms before all the drama took place but they were closed due to the snow.  Good times I tell you.  Good times.
  
If that weren't enough to keep me busy, I was also secretly planning a belated surprise party for Bird's 40th birthday for Wednesday night.  It worked out perfect. I served chili, lentil soup, appetizers, veggies and a giant apple and a giant pumpkin pie.   Pumpkin pie is Bird's favorite and he always asks for it on his birthday.  The only problem came when the guest of honor didn't arrive til almost an hour after the party began. He had no idea what I had planned and of course he couldn't control the traffic between work to my parent's house.  Needless to say he was more than a little shocked to see everyone and I was thrilled to be able to catch him off guard!
Saturday morning came way too soon.  It's arrival meant it was time for Ed and Jessica to go back to Wisconsin.  I sobbed uncontrollably after they pulled out of our driveway.  It was so nice having them here. Sharing special moments together with our children meant the world to me.  The closest way I can describe how it felt would be to say it was like part of my soul came home while they were here.  Thanks for taking the time and energy to come all this way Ed and Jessica.  We hope to see you in Wisconsin sometime very very soon.

6 comments:

Wisconsin Girl said...

LOVED our time with you...every minute of it was great. And it was so amazing seeing Sam and Yaya play together. He still wants to go back to CA...without the long plane ride though:) And Calavaras SP will forever be etched in our memories...couldn't have planned something more fun if we had tried. Love it when great moments happen like that. Thanks for all of the work you did to host us. It was so great being with you and your family!!!

KathY said...

Oh! the fun you must have had. I can nearly feel that this account just scratches the surface :) . Frizzy, you're a wonderful mom and friend and wife - and writer.

I'm starting to settle into the new site! Lots to do yet! but I'm enthused. I hope you'll continue to stop in when you can. I abandoned my initial id. Too complicated. This is the new and final one. God bless you, KathY, still aspiring... though :) .

Nichole said...

Wow you have been a busy! A fun busy though. I bet Yaya loved having a playmate around all week...especially since he liked to dress up too! :o) And how stinkin' cute are those little ones!?!

Ok, I have to admit that I laughed outloud when I read that you wet your pants. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one who's done that ;o)

Bettina said...

Those are some awesome memories...that little guy may have some issues with that pic of him in pink heels someday, but it is adorable!

Rebecca Jo said...

So much great stuff here!!!! Cant decide what I like the most - the little guy in a pink tutu & heels... or you peeing on yourself from laughing!!!! haha!!!!

So glad you got to spend time with your friends... & to love on those babies! I bet Yaya is lost without her little friend now! He was probably the perfect boy for her!


High Five on pulling off a surprise party!!!! I bet Bird enjoyed it!!!

Gramma 2 Many said...

You are so blessed to have such wonderful friends and to be able to build the fantastic memories you are building for Yaya!! Every moment of their visit looks like it was packed with fun things to do.
Selfishly looking forward to the 20th:)