A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

An Evening of Twinkling Lights

Last Saturday evening my mom called and asked if we wanted to go watch the parade of lights on the river.  At the last minute we all scrambled into the car and made it happen.  We didn't care that it was raining and cold we wanted to get out of the house and have some fun. 

When we arrived downtown we found a crowd gathered around some buildings.  People were singing Christmas carols in the crowd and it immediately brought tears to my eyes.  A few moments later, The Night Before Christmas was read by "Samuel Clemens" as it was performed from two of the old buildings.  It was wonderful watching the show, hearing the laughter and excited shouts from the adults and kids alike as Santa appeared on stage. 

Behind us an old steam engine blew it's haunting whistle as it slowly chugged into the station. As each car passed passengers wearing red santa's hats could be seen gathering their belongings. Christmas was in the air.     

The giant tree near the train station and square.

At 6:30 sharp we walked to the dock along the river's edge and waited for the parade of lights to begin.  The lights from the boats grew brighter as they slowly drifted towards us and passed under the bridge.  Each one had a different theme and I loved how even in the rain their twinkling lights could be seen reflecting in the water.  If you listened closely you could here the passengers on board singing carols or shouting "Merry Christmas!" We joyfully yelled "Merry Christmas!" in return.  Yaya and my mom were so sweet as they shouted compliments to the people on each boat.  "Your lights are beautiful!  Great JOB!  OOOOH LALA!"  All the celebrating made Bird hungry and he decided to make a quick escape to order some yummy Hush Puppies for us all.  They were hot and steamy and they hit the spot. 
Did you notice the raindrops falling against the night sky in this picture?

Two things could have made the evening better falling snow instead of rain and a thermos full of hot cocoa to sip while the boats drifted by. 

Note to self:  Next year make and bring hot chocolate!

7 comments:

KathY said...

Enchanting, Frizzy! Your photos and your narrative both. Expecially the river parade of lights! Ours is down small town main streets which is so magical, too, especially if it's snowing. I loved! seeing your photos of the river and the boats - I'm a river rat. So on many counts, thank you for the glimpses of this.

In response to your earlier note, it was so nice to see you again. Wishing you all the wonder our Lord could possibly have to offer you during this wonderful season of Advent.

Love and prayer, KathY

Gramma 2 Many said...

Beautiful photos!! As I have said before, the memories you are making for Yaya are such a blessing.
It looked like such a fun evening:)

The Blonde Duck said...

How pretty!

Rebecca Jo said...

Things like that have the best memories attached! :)

Susie said...

Gorgeous!!

Nichole said...

Love your pictures.

I love how you guys are up for anything and get out and have fun!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Man I wish we lived near the water. For the first time in my life I'm beginning to think I need to retire near water.

Brian is leaving HI for the first(??) time in 20 years --- headed to Germany. Crazy.

Love you!
k