A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Reminiscing and The Return of A Christmas Tradition

I take after my mom in so many ways.  We share the same voice, same mannerisms and we've been told we look alike more times than we can count.  I think the way I most resemble her though is in her tender heart.  My brother and I used to think it was funny when my mom would cry over a song, a tv show or a memory.  Turns out today, we learned we're sentimental fools too.

Over the last couple years I've scoured stores and the internet for a John Denver and the Muppets Christmas cd for her.  When my brother and I were kids our family listened to this record every year as we put up our Christmas tree. When my parent's record player stopped spinning 11 years ago that was the end of our heartwarming tradition.  I can't tell you how much I've missed it.  Last year, I was outbid 3 times on Ebay but finally won a copy that arrived just in time for Christmas.  As my mom opened it tears streamed down her face and mine too.  We listened to it as we continued opening the rest of our gifts and everyone in the family sang along to those old familiar tunes.  It was the perfect gift and family tradition was reborn.

In October, I stumbled upon 2 more copies of this cd and bought them both.  I sent one to my brother and kept one for myself.  My brother opened his yesterday just before he decorated his tree as I instructed him to do.  He told me tears fell from his eyes as he recalled memories from our childhood and Christmas's past.  I did the same thing as I listened to my copy and my family decorated our tree. 

Last night, as he and I reminisced about the old days we found ourselves exchanging new stories about how our own kids have fallen in love with the same songs we did.  We laughed as we recounted funny stories  of how our kids had danced or sang along with Miss Piggy to Christmas is Coming and the Muppets singing the Twelve Days of Christmas.  There is something magical about this cd.  That and hearing John Denver's crystal clear voice sing A Baby Like You, Stille Nacht or It's in Everyone Of us just gets you right in the heart.

If you have a little time, I hope you'll click on one of the videos I've linked below.  I pray they bring smiles to your faces and warmth to your heart as you go about your day.  Oh, Just so you know, I can't be blamed if you hear Miss Piggy's voice in your head the rest of the day.  Consider this my little warning.  It's catchy!






12 comments:

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

I don't have FlashPlayer up on my computer yet, so can't watch, but teared up at your story nonetheless.

LuvU girl.
k

Gramma 2 Many said...

John Denver was one of my favorites!!
Love your story and know there will be a day that YaYa and your next little one will be relating the same stories to their own children.

Karin, I cannot get onto your blog. Something else is coming up. What is happening?

cat said...

Such great Christmas memories.

Susie said...

Isn't it great to share memories like that?

Rebecca Jo said...

OK - that makes me just want to tear up too... I love family traditions.. & how fun that you call do it in your own homes, but know you're all listening to the same music...

My brother LIVED & BREATHED John Denver!!!! I'll have to send him these videos! :)

LaceFace said...

You wanna talk about teary...I got teary eyed just reading this...love the videos! Merry Christmas!

The Blonde Duck said...

The Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite Christmas movie. It's not Christmas until I watch it.

Nichole said...

Such a great story and what a cool gift for your mom! How fun that you get to continue a Christmas tradition and start a new one for Yaya.

Renata said...

This is such a beautiful tradition that you are carrying on with your children! Hope you remember to buy Yaya a CD for her glory box too!

Enjoy your decorating!
Renata:)

Bettina said...

GREAT memories, that's what makes our lives so rich, the memories!!!!

aspiring... said...

Frizzy, off topic, a note to let you know I moved the content of aspiringfool.blogspot.com to a different url: kathyarsis.blogspot.com. So far only a score or so of posts are republished at the new site. In time, I'll have them all republished as well as art laid in and other fine-tunings. I hope you'll come by. Soon I'll begin commenting and emailing as kathyarsis, too, instead of aspiring... or aspiring f.o.o.L. Love and peace and prayer, kathyarsis, aka aspiring...

KathY said...

Thank you, Frizzy... :)

Yes, the novena truly is beautiful, I agree. You might be interested to know that it came to me by way of a nun. Her community will pray it as a novena before Christmas. They've invited others to do so. I'm sharing it with everyone I know with the invitation to join them. Many thanks, Frizzy. You and Kay are as good for my ambition as you are for my heart :) . God bless you.