I'll let you fill in the blank because as of 5:00 PM today MY MOM RETIRED from
after 27 years of dedicated time, hard work and service!
We couldn't be happier for her. We'll finally have her at home with us for holidays. She won't be exhausted from working til 2:00 AM during the Christmas season. No more days of feeling more like a exhausted SCROOGE instead of a happy grandma elf. She can go visit my brother and her grandsons when the mood hits her instead of when the store isn't having a sale, a walk through, back to school or a major holiday. Ummm... WHEN ISN'T PENNEYS HAVING A SALE ANYWAY? No, I'm not bitter. I'm just thrilled to have my mommy back! YAHOO!
She started working for Penneys when my brother and I were in elementary school. She took a job during the holidays to help pay some bills. When the holiday season ended, they asked her to stay on full time. In 27 years she's worn a lot of hats and worked in every department in the store. Catalog, customer service, sales, payroll and her final job was as a staff trainer. Each and every new employee had to go through her training class before they could go on the sales floor. She remembers each and every one of their names too.
My mom taught me the importance of a good work ethic. In 27 years I think she called in sick once maybe twice. She always had a smile on her face and did what ever was asked of her. How do I know this? I worked with her during high school and college. EVERYONE LOVED MY MOM! In addition, she was nominated for and won employee of the month more times than I can count. Yeah, I'm proud of my mom!
I'll be honest though. I am more than a little sad to admit I don't have any pictures of her at work. That and they didn't invite our family to attend her retirement luncheon last Friday. WHATEVER! Tonight, I had her and my dad over for a celebratory dinner. She requested one of my favorite salads to make Giada De Laurentiis' Italian Chicken Salad in Lettuce Cups and a yummy hummus dip. For dessert we had banana cream pie.
Her gift from us and her sister is a girl's weekend in Las Vegas mid June. We're going to have such a good time! I can't think of a better way to celebrate...well a cruise would be nice but I would want the whole family there for that. She is very excited and hopes to see either the Beatles show LOVE or Donnie and Marie Osmond. (She was in their fan clubs as a teen.) I don't care what we see as long as she has the time of her life.
Many people have asked her what she's going to do now. Her answer is, "I don't know." I think I know why too. She hasn't taken time to dream for herself since before I was born. Her life has been about taking care of her family for as long as I can remember. That's the whole reason she started working for Penneys. Regardless of what she decides to do. We'll be behind her 100 percent. Yaya hopes she'll get to spend more time at grandma and grandpa's house.
Only time will tell.
Congratulations MOM! We're all so happy for you!
14 comments:
Hooray for your mom (and you guys too)!
WOW... 27 years - that's awesome! That's gotta be a little hard for her to leave.. she'll feel a little strange during the Christams season, wont she?
VEGAS? Oh - you need to take pictures of her fawning over Donny Osmond!!! :) (I would too though)
Congratulations to her! What a great milestone:-)
Good for your mom! 27 years is quite an accomplishment. I'm glad she'll have some time to kick back and have more family time! :o)
Hooray for freedom!
That's soooo awesome, enjoy her and her new found freedom!
Hi Frizzy, warm greetings to you in Jesus,
Off topic and for your info, I have turned off my blog 'aspiring f.o.o.L., a woman at the well' - a tough decision to be sure. The only way to do that short of deleting the blog entirely is to restrict access. After I've had time to copy out any of my own writing that I want to keep, I will at that time delete the blog entirely.
In the meantime and unfortunately, the message reading that the blog is "open to invited readers only" is misleading. And so I want to be sure you know that it's not a question of invitation at all. You know well that you, like I also told Nancy, would be at the top of any such list :) .
I will continue visiting your site... By all means, please reach me by email if you wish, anytime.
Much love to you and prayer for you, aspiring...
Hope they rewarded her with more than a luncheon. Used to be a gold watch, but even now that is kind of simple.
Glad you have your mommy back too. Mommies are very important people, not matter how old you are:)
Congratulations, Frizzy's mom!!!
27 years and they didn't invite you guys to the retirement ceremony??? How low can they go?
That is a long time! Go Mom!
Aspiring, I have tried a few times to read your blog and I can't find your email address from last summer. I hope you read this. I would love to stay in touch and am saddened to hear you are closing your blog. That said, I understand and support you. I pray your next journey brings you much peace and what you are looking for or waiting for God to lead you to.
Betty, My mom and I've been told we look alike for years. We sound pretty similar too. Many an old boyfriend mixed us up on the phone. snicker snicker.
Evy, The management team gave my mom a luncheon and didn't even invite the other employees. They were pretty put out just like my family felt. It is a huge milestone and I would think they could have at least thought to include my dad. As for their gift, they gave her some prety dishes and a plaque.
Oops, that last comment should have been directed to you Nancy. Sorry.
Happy retirement to her. I really hope she enjoys it - seems like she deserves it.
Woo Hoo!!!! Congrats to your mom. Wish I could have been there for the celebratory dinner:)
Post a Comment