A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Fifteen

I've taken a few walks down memory lane lately thanks to hearing Taylor Swift's new song Fifteen. Boy does it take me back to my freshman year of high school. Oh the excitement, the fun and who can forget the teenage ANGST!

You all may or may not know I met my good friend, Karin (author of 6 By His Design) during PE that year. She and I talked about a boy or two back then. You never forget your first crush, kiss or love especially when you're 15.

I recall dancing around in my room after my first date. I recall feeling the world spin like Talyor describes after receiving my first kiss on New Year's eve that year. The funny thing is, I don't recall how or when that same boy broke my heart. I know I must have felt heartbroken but that pain is long gone and only sweet memories remain. I learned so much that year and in the years to follow. I must tell you my favorite line in this song comes immediately after she describes feeling the high of a first kiss,

"in your life you'll do things greater than dating the boy on the football team but you don't know it at 15."

Where was this song back when we were 15 Karin? That line ROCKS! Oh the wonderful things all of us have done in the years since we were 15! Those experiences and all the ones that followed were what led me to my wonderful husband and beautiful baby girl "But I didn't know it when I was 15."

Thank you Taylor Swift for the this sweet and honest song about being 15.

9 comments:

Susie said...

What an interesting take on that song! Since I have a teenager, I always think about that song as advice to her. Kind of like "if I knew then what I know now":-)

Nichole said...

Ok I'm heading over to youtube to check out that song. Oh what I'd give to go back to high school for just one day. :o)

Just Lisa said...

All of her songs are so well written and have great meaning. My favorite song of hers is called The Best Day. Great mommy-daughter song!

Gramma 2 Many said...

I rarely listen to music so I do not know the song, but I do remember 48 years ago when I was 15 and in love.
What a life time ago:) Much water has passed under the bridge.

Julie said...

this post cracked me up. I haven't heard her stuff but I know people like her~

cat said...

That is a sweet memory - and so true - we do not remember the sad bits.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

I *heart* Taylor. Even Sashi can sing the words of You Belong With Me (is that sad? I dunno - but every time her wee li'l voice sings, "She's cheer captain and I'm in the bleachers," I just laugh and think again that I need a video camera. ---Cuz you know I was the one in the bleachers. And, well, Sash sounds more like:
ee hee capn i in da beecherz

Or what about "The Best Day?" CRY!

And girl, high school was a highlight for me --- and those first days in PE were among the best. I miss you so much!

k

Anonymous said...

Wisdom comes with age...and experience.
love this song too. :)

tammy said...

I love that song, too. I wonder if kids listen to it and take it to heart...or do they think "yea, yea". Maybe since she's young herself...it will at least make them think and put things into perspective a little better then we did as 15 year olds! ;)