Let me try to explain the magnitude of this party. Bird's sister had 50 people in attendance this year alone! That meant at least 25 pounds of frosting had to be made. It was an all day affair for her. The houses are pre-built out of wood and everyone brings 3-4 bags of candy, cereal or crackers to contribute. She usually invites people in shifts but this year left it open for people to come and go all day long. It's a HUGE party y'all!
We wanted to copy some aspects of her party such as the wooden houses (which my dad made for us) but keep the number in attendance a bit smaller. We invited 5 families and asked that they each bring 3-4 bags of candy, cereal or crackers and an appetizer. We made two large pots of chili, sides, the drinks and deserts for dinner.
The party started out with mingling and eating.
The kids started playing together immediately. I think they were taking turns being Sleeping Beauty in this shot. Mostly they just looked like a pile of giggling arms and legs.
I decided to focus some of that energy in a game of Musical Pillows. Each kid won a chocolate bear, walrus or penguin as you can maybe see in this group shot.
With all their energy focused, we were all ready to tackle our Gingerbread houses.
Some really threw themselves into their work. LOL
We're starting to lose them. LOL
The kids did really well helping but once their attention was gone they were ready for a movie. It was sweet that they all wanted to sit together.
I think we picked the perfect year to start this tradition. This group of kids are between the ages of 7 months to 6 years old. They attend our church and all go to preschool their too. It's wonderful watching them learn the real reason for Christmas. Watching their eyes light up with excitement and love when they hear the story of baby Jesus really puts things in perspective.
The fruits of our labor...
7 comments:
What a FABULOUS idea, and a great new tradition to begin. I give you credit for organizing all this...two large pots of chili plus sides plus drinks plus dessert??? You GO girl!!!
Love them. I have always wanted a gingerbread house, but am not smart enough to think of using prebuilt wooden structures!!!
That looks like GREAT holiday fun!!
What a great evening. The gingerbread house looks amazing!
Oh Frizzy,
This is just too precious! I can't tell you how precious these memories are...I mean I could...but somehow I think you already know!
I also want to say what a blessing you are to me. Thanks for remaining such a loyal friend as my blog time has been cut back due to my abilities being less. You always bring me a smile.
I love you and wish you the Merriest of Christmas's.
WHOA! 25 lbs of frosting?! Wowza.
And what a great tradition to start... and love the idea of pre-making the houses out of wood!
I'm speechless and completely amazed at the end results! WHAT FUN! Also completely amazed by your organization and ability to put this together and pull it off (not doubting your ability to pull it off...that didn't sound like I wanted it too...I just can't believe the magnitude of this project!). Such fun memories for all of you!
Post a Comment