A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Gnocchi not Noogie

While living in Italy I had a chance to taste gnocchi for the first time. It has a texture that isn't for everyone and can easily be overcooked. Fortunately for me that wasn't the case. I loved it best served with Italian ham, peas and a heavenly cream sauce. My mouth waters now just thinking of it. Yummm
Fast forward to my mother's visit. We took her out to dinner and she wanted us to translate and suggest some items from the menu. She chose the gnocchi and unfortunately she falls into the category of those who aren't fans of its texture. Unknowing, I asked her if she would like a box to take the rest home and she politely said, "No thank you. I don't care for any more noogie." Bird and I about lost it then and there. My poor mom had no idea she had pronounced it wrong. That coupled with a glass or two of wine and the understanding of what noogie means was just too much for us. Anyway, I've never looked at gnocchi the same way.
As you all know, my girlfriend Kristina and I have been taking Italian cooking classes at a local restaurant. Last months class was how to make gnocchi. I've wanted to learn how to make it forever. Once you learn the technique you can make it from so many things including pumpkin. The classes have gotten so popular they had to add another class to fit everyone in.
Here Kristina is cracking me up as usual with her funny faces and comments.
I'm ready to make some potato dumplings/gnocchi.
My first attempt at these yummy little potato dumplings. I'll be honest I need a bit more practice but it was fun to learn the different ways you can add the trademark gnocchi lines.
We enjoyed drinking our wine.
I mean, watching our classmates while waiting for our turn in the kitchen.

Kristina and her extra creamy Pesto Gnocchi.
Here's my special plate of heaven.
I can't tell you how hard it was not to finish my entire bowl.
I'm talking lick the plate good y'all.
Don't worry, I saved half and took it home to share with Bird and Yaya.

They thought is was so good you could lick the plate too.

10 comments:

Rowena said...

Brava, brava, brava! You know, I don't think I'd have been able to save any for my husband. That gnocchi looked sooooo good, I'd have been sneaking in the kitchen to see if there were any more.

Susie said...

I love gnocchi but it is one of those words that is hard to say:-) That dish looks sooooooo yummy!! I would love a pumpkin recipe:-)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

oh, I do love potatoes but have not made these. I see on your profile that your emails is there, but I still can't click on it from my site. Maybe you left the comment right before you enabled it. :)

Unknown said...

How yummy!!! They are delicate though! My sister made them once and got distracted and they literally fell apart!!! I guess 7 kids will do that! ;)

cat said...

My hubby just loves Gnocchi. Sorry for the poor guy, he is married to a tactile sensitive soul - I can not stand the texture. Well, luckily there are restaurants and each can choose their own bit of Italian heaven - mine is panzerotti without a doubt.

gramma2many said...

Have never tasted it, but loving potatoes and all things potatoe, I probably would enjoy gnocchi too.
The noogie, I might still enjoy too:)

Wisconsin Girl said...

Have I mentioned how envious I am that you are taking these cooking lessons?!?!? What FUN!!! Esp. when you are drinking wine along with making these yummy recipies. I remember Lucia and Nonna taught me how to make gnocchi, then Ed came home for lunch and we all gobbled them up. I can't make them nearly as good as her. In fact I just tried making a basil gnocchi recipie a month or two ago and the texture didn't turn out right. Something you have to make a few times to get it down, but oh are these yummy when done right! Could go from some with a glass of wine right now! Hey, I even have a tool I bought at the market that puts the lines in the gnocchi. Fun memory:) Thanks for sharing the pics!

Katrina @ Pics, Pages & Purls said...

So I read on your comment to Melissa at Familiar Path. That you would like to know how to put your name on your photos. Do you still need to know that? I use that program and LOVE it! let me know at
photoktrapp at gmail dot com

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

girl, i LOVE cooking classes!

glad you are enjoying yours :)

k

Anonymous said...

Wish I could hire you to cook for me. Or at least be your neighbor. ;)