The purpose of the first leg of our trip was to fly into Seattle to meet Bird's parents and allow a night for Yaya to transition into their care. She was soo excited to be going on vacation she spent the day packing and unpacking ALL her toys. You should have seen her trying to cram them all into her little baby's bed. That thing was overflowing! I kept explaining that she couldn't take all her toys and that I already packed a few of her favorite toys plus some treats for her trip. She didn't believe it until I showed her everything in her special suitcase and fish backpack. I wished someone would show me they had packed everything I would need for my trip too!
Here she is on the plane enjoying her new coloring book.
What kid doesn't play with the windows? Up, Down, Open and Shut. Better than kicking the seat of the person in front of them anyway. Right?
We landed and took the bus to our hotel where Bo and Boppy were waiting for us. We went over all the important information which included doctors near them, emergency numbers, insurance cards, Temporary Power of Attorney papers even our Last Will and Testaments. I was prepared for anything and everything to go wrong. After all, we were flying Air France and they had just lost a plane the day before our trip began. That's enough to make anyone more than a little nervous.
The next morning, we said our good-byes and Yaya drove off with Bo and Boppy. We decided it might be easier for her if she felt like she was leaving us for her vacation rather than the other way around. She didn't bat an eye. Bird and I on the other hand had a hard time stopping the tears as she drove away. We knew she was in wonderful hands it was just hard knowing we wouldn't see her for 14 days.
We headed back to the airport to catch our first flight to Paris and connecting flight into Barcelona.
Bird and I had 4 seats to ourselves. Talk about hitting the jackpot! We each took an isle seat and saved the middle two for our stuff and caught up on some movies we hadn't seen during our 91/2 hour flight.
We were even able to watch our location/flight pattern on the tv monitors.
Almost to Paris!
We ran through the airport in Paris because we only had an hour between flights. That sounds like plenty of time until you realize you have to take a bus from the plane to the terminal, go through customs, find and get to your connecting terminal and wait in a long slow line to get through security again. God was taking good care of us and one of the airport security guards allowed us to move ahead in line so we could catch our connecting flight. Once on the plane, Bird couldn't fit in his seat. (This isn't uncommon for him w/European airlines.) Again, he was blessed by the attendant who allowed him to change to an exit row seat. Bird immediately felt calm because the women next to him were all Nuns. He told me he showed the Nun next to him "The Light". In other words, she was too short to reach the overhead light so he pushed the button for her. Gotta love his sense of humor!
We arrived in Barcelona mid day so after finding our hotel (Acta Mellenium) we knew we needed to stay up til it at least 10-11 PM in order to get passed our jet lag and time change. Here's a few shots from our first night of exploring Barcelona.
Here's a few signs we saw plastered all over the city. Recognize either of these faces?
Can you understand what the signs say? Me neither.
Bird in front of the fountain at Placa Reial.
Bell Tower of the cathedral in Placa Antoni Maura.
The ceiling of a Starbucks where we stopped to ask for a good restaurant and use the toilet. Not your normal Starbucks ceiling aye?
Our dinner was half a liter of Sangria, a scrumptious salad with fresh roasted goat cheese and paella at Les Quinze Nitz.
I don't plan on doing a play by play with my entire trip. After all, we took over 1000 photos. I just figured the first day of travel was a big part of our journey and the longest day EVER thanks to time zone changes! The next post will include photos and stories from Montserrat, Sagrada Familia and Gruel Park.
18 comments:
Love the pictures! That starbucks ceiling is INSANE!!!!
I totally cracked up at the Nun's & helping them find "the Light"... hilarious!!!
Love, LOve, LOVe, LOVE it! :)
Sure wish I knew what they were saying on the pictures.
Looking forward to Monday.
I think I would have been a bit nervous flying right after that too.
I loved watching the screen telling me where I was as I flew to Africa. In fact, I watched it the whole time. Did not even watch one movie.
I also found Swiss Air far more comfortable than flyin an American carrier. I flew American to and from New York. Could not have been more uncomfortable. Was glad they were not my trans atlantic connection. In fact, they are crossed off from my list of acceptable airlines.
The blog is from aqua poppy designs. I think if you click on their logo in the upper left of my blog you can get to them. Tricia pimped it for me one day cause I cannot figure those things out very well.
Still looking forward to Monday.
Love the pictures -- thanks for coming by -- What a wonderful vacation -- I know you had a great time.
That paella looks soooooooo good!!
I want a play by play, come on! You can do it.
We had friends that were flying to Zimbabwe last week and I managed to keep my mouth shut about the AirFrance plane. How that plane just dropping off radar and no one knowing where it was didn't make more of a news blip is beyond me. Do they not wonder what the h-e-double hockey sticks happened to it? It just DISAPPEARED. I give you total compliments for getting on a transatlantic plane flight after that.
I am GLUED to the computer and am so anxious and excited to hear about your trip! We are taking a roadtrip to see Ed's brother this weekend, so I'll try to call you during our 6 hour drive on Friday. Love the pics and stories and can't wait to see the rest! More importantly, so glad you had a safe trip and that you are all back home together!
I'm jealous! You got the plane with the little tv screens on the seat!:) We were able to go to Barcelona a few years back....LOVED the city and the architecture!! Have fun!! snap away!! Smilebox has been the BEST investment...used birthday money. I LOVE being able to pop in a pic and send it off....:)
FUN, FUN times...My hope is that it helps my children see that there is a great big world out there....and so much work to do!
Peace on the journey!
hugs!
lori
So so so so so so jealous.
By the way, i'm jealous.
Oh, I love it when people take pictures of their meals while traveling!! What a busy and exciting time for the two of you!
I think I would have immediately felt better about flying once I realized I was sitting next to nuns!!
I'm waiting patiently for Part 2!
That paella says 'romantic dinner' for me. You lucky girl, you. Look forward to Italia!
That was a great idea getting Yaya to leave instead of you...
I hope there will be more photos of food. I doubt I will get to experience much real european quisine so I'll live through you!
That looks like such fun! 4 seats to yourselves? Awesome!
I've been to the Salt Lick a million times. It's good. My dad's best friend's daughter actually got married at the original one!
Oh love the pictures - I can not wait to see the rest!
I will be flying for the 1st time in about eight years this fall... I've never been a fan of flying, and already I'm getting nervous!
Great pics so far... can't wait to see more!!!
i'd take a play by play! it sounds like a fun read!
glad you're back safe and sound! say hi to gramma for me ;)
love you,
k
What a great time - wow that ceiling is amazing!!
Had to laugh at your hubby´s sense of humour - very very funny!
Arw, I am glad Yaya felt she was the one to leave rather than the other way around. Good tactic!
ROFLOL at "the light" The food in my preggo state is driving me wild! Yea, those fun, cramped inter-Euro planes!
Oh, I can tell you what those signs said; it was propaganda: It's a Socialist Party European Parliament ad: "Do you really think the ones who got us into this mess are going to be the ones to get us out of it?"
Reminds me of the anti American signs in Aviano like..."Drop Bush not Bomb" and "Go home, Yankee" (yes. Just one Yankee. Let's go pick one. Not me or Demian cos we are Southerners, LOL)
I look forward to more smashing pictures!
Post a Comment